Saturday, December 18, 2004

An Embarrassing Coincidence (for a Geek)

I live in Podunk, so I never got to see Napoleon Dynamite, which is all the rage with the kids, but I always wanted to BECAUSE I am a fan of Elvis Costello. One of my favorite Elvis albums is “Blood & Chocolate” on which he calls himself Napoleon Dynamite. There’s even a really beautiful track called “Poor Napoleon.” I thought it was very clever of somebody to name a movie after this obscure Elvis reference. Turns out, though, the writer didn’t even KNOW it was Elvis’ name back in 1986 or whenever “B&C” came out. And I am ever so disappointed. I now believe this movie is slightly less cool, and I believe the writer is a total dork because of this comment.

Here is the movie’s official statement on the coincidence:

This movie shares its title from the pseudonym of "Napoleon Dynamite" that singer/songwriter Elvis Costello credited himself as for his 1986 album,
'Blood and Chocolate' (narrating the album under the guise of the fictional
character). (12/8/03) Executive producer Jeremy Coon has written in to
clarify that "the name is not derived from Elvis Costello and that the film has nothing to do w/ him. We got the name from a real person the director met while in Chicago
several years ago which could be indirectly related to Costello, but we were not aware of the connection before we did the film."



And here is another review that echoes my sentiment (except I believe Jared Hess because [A] I used to go to BYU—I know the culture could sift out Elvis and [B] I know he’s very young):


No mention is made of Napoleon's name. Any Elvis Costello fan knows that in the
1980s he declared that he would no longer be known as Elvis Costello, but
instead as Napoleon Dynamite, under which name he released what may have been
his last great album, BLOOD AND CHOCOLATE. The producers have independently declared that they were unaware of that and chose the name without reference to
Elvis Costello. This is, of course, utterly absurd, about as believable as someone making a movie with the lead character named Anna Karenina but claiming
to be ignorant that Tolstoy had a character by that name.

Who doesn’t at least acknowledge that Costello is one of the granddaddies of coolness, even if they don’t like his style? Jerks, that’s who. And geeks. Give a granddaddy his propers!

Anywhoooo—I am looking forward to watching the DVD this week, despite the title debacle.

Oh, PS: Happy 30th Birthday to my sisters, Laura & Lisa tomorrow. Yay--now you're old like me!

3 comments:

Brent said...

From the link you posted, Maj:

"Hess tells the mag that the quirky handle belonged to an old Italian man he met doing missionary work in Chicago a few years ago."

In Hess' defense, although he doesn't deserve one...

Costello...doesn't that sound Italian to you? (It's actually of British origin of all things, but go with me on this one.)

Just how old is Elvis anyway? Fifty, sixty years old? That's kind of old.

It's possible Hess and Costello met up in Chicago, so perhaps Hess' Napoleon Dynamite really IS Elvis Costello.

My logic amazes even me at times.

Jamie said...

Brent: Right on--very good train of thought. I think living in Provo is all the defense he needs :)

Are you home for XMAS yet?? What's next on Planet Brent?

Laura said...

JAMIE, I DON'T WANT TO BE OLD!!!!!! I MISS YOU. AND THAT IS SOOOOOO COOL ABOUT SUPERMAN'S GIRLFRIEND! BUT I COULD HAVE TOLD YOU THAT THE GIRLS ARE B-UTIFUL. I LOVE YOU. MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR.

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...