Saturday, December 25, 2004

Warm Fuzzies

Since there is a lull in the Cousin Chaos (picture that scene in "A Christmas Story" with all the kids crashed out on the wrapping paper in the trashed living room), I thought I'd write that funny Sunday story I mentioned earlier.

I was teaching all the Young Women last Sunday during the third hour of church (which I almost didn't attend at all because my kids were up all night and I was thrashed). I wasn't really up to speed, but neither were the other two possible teachers, so-- I taught by default. I had a nice little story to read and then I thought we'd eat some treats and tell our own Christmas stories and experiences.

I asked if the girls ever had a Christmas where they gave more than they received, or if they'd gone out with their families to serve someone else. They all looked at me like I was speaking Chinese, then one piped up with this gem (imagine this spoken really fast by a breathless twelve year old):

"One time, it was really close to Christmas and we were at church and my mom got kind of upset and we left during sacrament meeting and we went home and my mom said we needed to serve so we made tons and tons of banana bread and we drove all over delivering them and we were driving down this hill to go home and it was slick and my mom hit the brick wall and wrecked the car... But we didn't get hurt."

Ummm...yeah [I couldn't think--I had no game what so ever]. So the moral of the story is...ummm... I didn't know what to do with that one.

Luckily the bishop, who was the only adult in the room who DID have game, offered this moral to the story: "Well, that's what you get for leaving sacrament early."

You can make ANYTHING into a fable if you're willing to get creative (and you've had a good night's sleep).

No comments:

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...