Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Habemus Papa (& A Really Bad Attitude)

The whole pope thing has been very interesting. I realized while watching some of the ceremonies through the funeral and the conclave how much academia took from catholicism, and why Nibley called graduation robes, "robes of the false priesthood." Disclaimer: I don't claim to know much about Catholicism and the following remarks are just gut reactions and observations, not meant to offend ANYONE.

It is so weird to me how people commenting on Ratzinger's selection can simultaneously say they believe the cardinals are acting on God's will (when they elect a pope) and argue that Ratzinger isn't fit to be pope.

And why do people want to be part of a democratic church? Is there security in doctrine that changes according to popular opinion? If you want to be part of a democratic church, I don't think Catholicism is for you (nor Mormonism, of course). I was just listening to a very annoyed nun (Maureen Fiedler) who wanted a pope who would get with the program and allow women to be ordained and endorse birth control and married priests. Um, I think she's looking for a different religion.

It bothers me when people despise orthodoxy. I have a lot of respect for churches and institutions--and people, for that matter--who can hold on to their beliefs even when they go out of fashion with the general public. One of the most annoying things I heard along these lines was from Christianne Amanpour during the mourning of JPII. She talked about how the church needed to elect a pope who would make it "relevant" in the new millennium. She said this while overlooking a crowd of millions of people. Faithful people, who would beg to differ. How can you say something is irrelevant when it has been important enough for the media to cover for almost a month now, and when there are 1.1 billion Catholics in the world? Granted, not all of them agree with the pope, and even fewer heed is counsel, but to imply that the church is irrelevant because the doctrines don't fit our modern mores is so silly. And arrogant.

And speaking of arrogance, did anyone see Oprah today? Holy self-congratulations, Batman! And I almost hurled when they had the special segment celebrating the woman who got the courage to leave her husband by reading O Magazine. "Yay, us! We're breaking up families everywhere! You go, girl! Way to be self-centered!" Granted, they didn't mention if he had been abusive--if he was, then okay. But if he was cramping her style or crushing her dreams or what ever--PUH-LEEZ, ladies. The next segment was about a stay-at-home mom who felt like an unfulfilled loser at home doing her thankless mommy job, so she found the courage to start a home business and make something of herself so she wouldn't just be another SAHM with nothing to contribute to society (I mean, besides healthy, happy, upstanding, responsible citizens of planet earth--cuz that doesn't really count). Maybe I am just irritable today, but man, that show made me SICK!

Leave some coments with your thoughts--I am taking my cranky self to bed!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for taking care of my little citizens of planet earth no matter how crazy and whiny they are. They are damn cute though, and you gotta love that. We ought to keep them around because they are awfull funny.

Anonymous said...

I have thought that about Oprah for a while now. She's way into her bad self and her celebrity friends. She's losing what made her Oprah, ya know?

Jill Petersen said...

I can remember coming home from high school, and sitting down to watch Oprah and really enjoying it. I can even remember a few years ago when I looked forward to turning on the T.V. to watch it, but these days its just full of arogance. What happened to our Oprah?!

Laura said...

JAMIE IS THE SHIZNIT!!!!! YOU ROCK AND I LOVE YOU AND I AM VERY THANKFUL THAT YOU ARE MY SISTER. OH, AND I HAVEN'T WATCHED OPRAH IN LIKE 5 YEARS....AND I REALLY DON'T MISS IT.

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...