Friday, August 26, 2005

No Pictures, Just Text

I wrote this on Thursday night, but I changed the date when I reorganized the vacation photos. I posted the rest of them and made it so it goes chrono-logically, top to bottom, so have another look if you want. I am feeling better today (Friday), mostly by neccesity since we are planting our trees and grass today and tomorrow. Yay that...

I am not feeling very well, so it's taking a while to get the vacation pix up and I am not writing much. But I just wanted to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my stepdad, Mark, and respond to the TAG from Brooks. I am supposed to list my 5 favorite songs TODAY. Well, I haven't listened to ANY music since I got home from the trip, but on the road I was SO digging:

Elvis Costello: Next Time Around
I just got this re-issued CD a few weeks ago; it'sone of my all-time favorites and it's even better on the new minivan CD player! This song is so catchy and clever and so very Elvis. The lyrics are awesome--Best line? "You used to take the breath out of me, now I think you'll be the death of me."

Cyndi Lauper: True Colors
I was the biggest CL fan in jr. high school. This song came later, but it's still a favorite. I heard it on a very cool PBS ad and then I went and downloaded it. "If this world makes you crazy and you've taken all you can bear, you call me up because you now I'll be there and I'll see your true colors shining through/ I see your true colors and that's why I love you." I want to teach it to my kids.

TLC: No Scrubs
I got no shame about my love for TLC. A couple of people even called me when Left-Eye died to console me. It's kind of a secret that I like to perform old hip-hop songs on karaoke night and this is probably my best (it's rated PG, though, because it says "Dead beat arse"). It's great house cleaning music, yall. Once I was out on a movie date with my homeboy, Jeff, and this song came on in the theatre and I was singing it and he was totally freaked out. "I can't believe you know this song. I can't believe you've ever even HEARD it..." He just laughed and laughed. I said, "J-dawg--I am trapped in the body of a white girl."

Cars: Magic
This song IS summer to me. I put it on a summer mix CD last year, which I listened to on the way to Cali. Love it. The whole Cars Greatest Hits CD rocks my world. (Mollie-"American Girl" is on that mix, too--love it!)

XTC: Grass
Another SO-SUMMER song for me because the first time I heard it was at Mission Beach in the summer of 1987 and it became somewhat of an anthem for me and my A1 (just like Echo & the Bunnymen's "Lips Like Sugar" the next summer with Robert). The whole Skylarking album is a work of art in my book and my girls LOVE to listen to "Ballet for a Rainy Day" and "Sacrificial Bonfire." They will be well-versed in the New Classics.

There you go...
I am tagging:
Jill
Dana
Jessica
Laura
Matt/Amie

You guys post your own list of your 5 favorite songs TODAY on your own blogs, then tag three or more people.

4 comments:

Jill Petersen said...

So I am suppose to tell you my favorite songs huh? well, lets see...

Dave matthews - Stay-
It reminds me of hangin out in the hot hot sun in Az and just having a blast. Now it doesn't matter where I am, when I here that song it can apply to anywhere!

Sheryl Crow- Soak up the Sun-
This song reminds me of when it was just me and Al and we spent the whole first half of the summer of 2002 swimming and being together. The song would come on the radio and she would sing to it. She was 2 1/2 and it was just the two of us. Now when I here that song I get so sad if she's not with me!

Steve Miller Band- Dance Dance Dance-
This song to me is a classic. Mostly I love it because of my dating days with Drewby. We went on a lot of road trips that year before we were married and we listened to the best of Steve Miller. He always sang " your my honey punkin lover your my hearts delight, don't you want to go out tonight..."

James Taylor - Something in the way she moves -
I go into another world when I here this song. Actually I can be mezmorized by any James Taylor song. I listen to this and I just feel so loved- I know Drew thinks those thoughts about me even though hes not the one singing. It also reminds me of gram and gramps wedding video.

I can't think of a fifth song right now. I am sure my list is long if I had time to sit and think about it.

Laura said...

I will do it, but I have no clue how to tag people!

Brooks Brown said...

Hey, I love "Scrubs" too and TLC, Salt-n-Pepa and all kinds of hip hop. Janet Jackon's "Velvet Rope" is also great housecleaning music.
I was really bummed when I heard about Left Eye. I always thought it was kind of funny that she got so mad at her NFL boyfriend, Andre Risen, that she set his house on fire. You didn't mess with Left Eye. She was the spark plug of that band.

cmhl said...

love it!!! I love cyndi lauper too, and the CARS!!!! I need to go get their greatest hits.

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...