Friday, September 02, 2005

Exchange at the Presidio

This is the statue I was telling my friend about--it's a page from my 1996-98 scrapbook.The Caption reads: "I joined the Mormon Battalion of Iowa Volunteers, Company C, Infantry, as a Private number 47 and took up march on the 20th of July 1846." -Christopher Layton. I thought it was an amazing twist of fate that I returned to Tucson for school and joined the Institute Choir the same year we were to perform at the dedication of the Mormon Battalion Monument, which commemorates my GG grandfather Layton posting the US flag near the Presidio of Tucson. Not only did I get to honor a great ancestor, I got to sing in a trio for President Hinckley. (Pres. Hinckley presided and spoke at the dedication along with the mayor and Congressman Jim Kolbe).

Caption: December 14, 1996-Tucson

President Hinckley came to dedicate the monument downtown, I was seated to his left with the choir. The Trio sang "How Firm a Foundation" as he entered the area and he gave us a smile. The Ft. Huachuca Army Band was there, too, and they played a moving rendition of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic."

1 comment:

cmhl said...

those look awesome! seriously!

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...