Thursday, September 08, 2005

Please: Stop Talkin' and Start Walkin'

I feel the need to articulate my position in what has become known as "The Blame Game." Here it is via comments at Brooks' site.

Dear Brooks: Your last post and this first comment illustrate the reason why I am a conservative-bordering-on-libertarian. I can do a much better job managing my money and resources than the federal government EVER will, so just gimme those dang taxes back and I will live off of MY savings, MY retirement, MY food storage, and MY 72-hour emergency kit. My family and my church will ALWAYS be a more efficient means of security and rescue than the freaking government.

Jamie -- TRUE DAT all the way girl. I have been thinking the same thing about the Government. Give me my damn money back and lets just play 'everyone fend for themselves' I never thought that I would begin to understand the mentality of people that hate the government and start militias, but after this week I feel differently. Dubyah's good-ole-boy buddy as the head of FEMA held his last job as the commissioner of an arabian horse association? They're pointing at the other guy with one hand and scratching their butts with the other. Such an embarrassment!


Girl, you know it's true! Watch out Brooks, or you're gonna have to move to Montana with the rest of us crazy libertarians! You can write your manifesto and start your militia right down the valley...

I would love to be in Montana right now. It's been one of those weeks where it hurts having my parents so far away. I just can't believe what I've seen with my own eyes down at our civic center. People, children, have lived through hell this week in New Orleans. The looks on their faces breaks my heart, but I know they need help and I am glad that our community is here to do that.

There are several people/institutions to blame for this mismanagement and, really, no one to blame. Don’t blame the federal government---it’s NOT THEIR JOB! Remember, “establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty”? It doesn’t say PROVIDE the general welfare or PROTECT and PREVENT natural disasters. It’s common sense, people. Who knows better what your town needs—your senator or your mayor? Your governor or the president? Logistically it doesn’t even BEGIN to make sense to expect the feds to plan and execute emergency preparedness from region to region (only the church can do that! ). So SHUT UP and go help some people, will ya?

9 comments:

Laura said...

Did you get dad's e-mail. He is so cute. I miss him so much. People make me sick. How can you protest against the P.O.T.U.S because of a natural disaster? What the heck is wrong with them? Anyway, I love you. miss you too. Kiss the girls for me.

what's with the word verification?

Carla said...

Big stinkin' AMEN! You and I seem to be on the same wave length often. I was going to vent on my blog about it all...and still might. And, can I just say, that Kanye West can kiss my A**! It's not W's fault! Poor, picked on rock star can't see past his bling bling...

Anonymous said...

I love controversy! I'm a left-wing San Francisco Democrat, I'm afraid, who is enjoying every moment of watching the Bush Administration being raked over the coals but I love to hear the other side, too. I just hope that when the "big one" (earthquake) hits San Francisco my local, state and federal goverments have it all figured out!

Anonymous said...

Worry about what's going on NOW! and take care of the past LATER! HELLO it is IN...the PAST...!
We need to take care of our own and quit worrying about who did what. Just get out there and HELP! and get things done. And Then when everything is taken care of. Then find out what happened. Because pointing fingers and blaming each other is ONLY HURTING the person WHO NEEDS the HELP! OK! now I'm done with the soapbox!

Jamie said...

Sangroncito, your federal government can't do a thing for you if "The Big One" hits unless your governor ASKS them to. IT'S NOT THEIR JOB, no matter who is in the white house. I would advise you and every other adult with an IQ over 70 to practice self reliance and emergency preparedness. There is just no excuse not to do it--let Nawlins be a lesson to us all.

Anonymous said...

Jamie: (oh boy, a political debate!).....I agree 100% that as an individual I have the responsibility for emergency preparedness. That means I have emergency supplies at home (water, food, flashlights,etc...), that we've done all we can to make our house "earthquake safe", and that we have a plan for meeting up if a disaster happens. And I agree that the first response must be at the local level. But I also believe (and I would best describe myself as a "social democrat in the European model) that the Federal government has a big responsibility. And that includes providing adequate funding for infrastructure (ie. not cutting back on funding for levee construction in N.O.).
And I can't help but blame neglect by the federal government for the long-term neglect of the poor in the Gulf Coast states. I believe in a federal government that provides a support system for its citizens (paid for by our taxes) ie. universal health care,a good public education system, a sound retirement system, etc. A few examples of my idea of good government are the New Deal, the way the federal government intervened during the civil rights movement to demand that that the southern states enforce desegregation and the implementation of the social security system. Now everything is being "privatized" and the federal government is being shrunk under the Bush Admin. and I think the disaster in New Orleans and the Gulf Coast is a wake up call. I'm afraid I'm a classic bleeding heart ultra-liberal leftie! But I also respect other ideas and opinions because dialogue is what it's all about.

Brooks Brown said...

I know the Feds aren't the first line of defense. The real tragedy in this story is that no one in Louisiana made a big enough fuss about this. No one on the state level was worried enough about all the disadvantaged people in New Orleans. So the first and second safety net fail and those are the worst offenses, but then the big guns come in from Washington and can't bring water to the convention center for how many days? They turn away others who are trying to help while they aren't even providing help? Let me say that I agree with you Jamie 100% on the personal preparedness. People made fun of me as I prepared my storm shelter last week before the storm, bought 10 cases of water and enough non-perishables to last a month, but to me that is being smart. I see enough idotic local governing (imagine that in Alabama) that I would never depend on any of them to save my life in an emergency, but I would hope if there was a massive failure on their part, as was in New Orleans, that the feds with their money and resources could save the day. Obviously, that is an unrealistic hope. I don't think Bush and Washington are the first to blame but Washington went down there and failed proving that they talk the talk about homeland security, but don't actually secure the homeland.

Jamie said...

M & B: I think we pretty much agre on most things, as much as conservative and liberals can, anyway. I fully admit that there is some responsibility on the part of the feds, especially the unprepared and disorganized FEMA fiasco and the infrastructure problems (I was so troubled watching a 1987--EIGHTY SEVEN!!!--computer animation of what might happen in a category 4 or 5 storm and it was EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED). I just think that politicizing at such a time is so lame. Hence the walk vs. talk thing.

Brooks Brown said...

The thing that bothers me the most personally is that the New Orleans Times-Picayune, the city's biggest newspaper, wrote a five-piece series on this very situation three years ago. I know from having grown up and worked in newspapers my whole life that a five-piece series takes months of research, planning and execution.

That no state "official" in Louisiana responded to that red flag waving very obviously in their face is a sad shame. When the dust settles, the people of New Orleans will have a mayor that continues to turn this into a "poor me" issue when he should have been instrumental in getting those people out of New Orleans and, with the Governer, more involved in broadcasting the accident waiting to happen with the levee system.

I agree with you about politicizing. The blame being thrown around on all levels is just pointless and embarrassing.
If some degree of blame is not taken by all three levels of government than nothing will be learned from this. Since we are still in the thick of hurricane season (with one brewing in the Atlantic as I type)this vary scenario could present itself again at anytime.

I didn't know about that 1987 computer animation. The contradiction in terms there is a bit terrifying.

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...