Wednesday, December 14, 2005

A Day in the Life

Oh, my. It has been a day!

6:32am: Arise with Addie & Heidi
6:40-7:30am: Snuggle, feed, dress girls
7:30-8am: Shower and dress mommy
8:00am: Realize we're out of milk; check WIC checks and realize today is the first day of a new WIC month and we can get a zillion gallons of milk, some cereal, bread, cheese, eggs, and juice, too. We send daddy off to work and get ready to go to the store.
9:30am; Arrive at Albertsons after getting gas and re-buckling seatbelts twice.
9:30am-10am: Endure tantrums and fighting while running into friends with their nice children and while old people stare at my screeching daughters as if to say, "Why dont' you shoot them?"
10:00-10:40am: Head to the consignment store to check for cute new toddler things and drop off tons of toys we don't need-- the charming behavior continues, but not as screechy. I circle the downtown block three times looking for parking I can fit into with the Caravan. Little Buckaroos doesn't have anything for us today, but we donate some old decorations next door at the Senior Center and find a nice pair of sneakers for Heidi for 25 cents. While I look at them, Heidi runs away up the stairs, and 15 seconds later someone is on the intercom (in a building the size of my house) saying, "We have a lost child up here...lost child...do not let your child play on the stairs." That's the last straw. Mortified, I pay my quarter, grab the girls, and head out while Heidi waves and blows kisses to all the grandmas who think she's just darling in her "Bib Overhauls." She looks like an angel and I feel like a devil cuz I want to beat her bum!
11:00am-ish: Arrive home safe in the garage; unbuckle girls and send them in to house while I grab groceries. I have 2 gallons of milk in each hand (=4 gallons of milk) and a 12-pack of CF Diet Coke in my arms and I step in the door and trip over both girls, falling on my face and sending a gallon of milk bouncing down the stairs. I end up with about 1/2 gallon of milk seeping into my carpet in the basement and I am somewhat banged up. The girls aren't hurt, just scared and crying and I am upset, so I send them into Heidi's room so I can clean up the mess.
11:11am: Addie peeps out the door of Heidi's room and says, "Mom, are you happy now? Can we come out yet?" Awww, I let them out and tell them I love them but the y need to come watch a movie because mommy is going to have to shampoo the carpet today. I make arrangements for Addie to spend the afternoon with a friend and put Heidi down for a nap.
12:30-5:30: I wash any and all rugs in the house; I move all furniture and sweep and mop all wood and tile floors, vacuum and shampoo all carpets (except bedrooms); I dust; I cook a taco dinner for our family plus the missionaries; I clean out fridge and do all the dishes; Set the table; roll my hair and put on a skirt and sweater.
5:45-6:30 Dinner with family and Elders; Rich shampoos the stairs, Elders read to girls; I head out to Young Women in Excellence.
6:30-8:30: YW/ visit with friends at church
8:40-10:o0pm: Arrive home; say prayers with girls and tuck them in; Rich goes to work on log beds and shovel a lady's driveway; I bake 4 dozen more cookies for Friday's cookie exchange and tomorrow's playgroup, which is here at 10am. I wash remaining dishes, put cookies in freezer with the other 6 dozen, then wash face, brush teeth, take Tylenol (for aches resulting from earlier fall when I tripped over my children), take vitamins, blog--and then I will watch the Daily Show, read Helaman, and hit the hay.

BUSY ENOUGH FOR YA?...How was your day?

4 comments:

Carla said...

May I first say WOW! I hope you and your kids are ok. It's about time for us to shampoo our carpets too.

My days have been hectic since last Saturday (prepare RS lesson).

Sunday- give lesson/VT/song practice.

Monday- cleaning day (can't get past the P-day thing even after all these years) nuff said!

Tuesday- buy gifts for play group/HS play group/prep Cards/VT some more/song practice

Wed.- Run errands for my brother/gather stuff for display table for Enrichment night Christmas program/buy apple cidar/make wassil/pick up babysitter/song practice/Perform song at Enrichment night/talk about Christmas traditions "display" thing.

Every month for about 5 days I'm crazy busy given that all FOUR of my callings are in the Relief Society! (sorry to ramble)
I hope today runs smoother for you!

BTW, could you please email me your new address? (for Christmas card purposes) :)

Brooks Brown said...

My gosh Jamie, you are a good momma and a good woman. That is quite a day. Your milk story reminds me of the time I spilled an entire gallon of paint on the floorboard of my car. Thankfully a friend had a wet dry vac and I spent the next 6 hours cleaning it out.

Geo said...

I would have been impressed if all you'd done today was roll your hair and get dressed!

Jill Petersen said...

You are way more productive then me! Then again all I have time to do is be bessie the cow and milk my son! you know what I mean!

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...