Friday, January 20, 2006

What's in YOUR ear?

So I was just finishing running through my tivoed shows last night, close to midnight (afterall, it was My Name is Earl and The Office, which I had to skip in the evening because I was feverishly finishing my darling Grandma's birthday present--she'll be 75 on Monday, people, so pay her some propers), when Adeline Rose Melin emerged from her bedroom all whiny and groggy and feverish.

"Mom, mom, this ear is hurting! It's hot! Help me!" Shucks! Those dang Melin eustachian tubes have done it again (actually, I am not complaining because she only gets like one ear infection a year). I knew she probably started with the same virus Heidi had and just got infected elsewhere. So I gave her some Tylenol and held her upright (I was upright because I was coughing too much laying down) and fell asleep that way. Then I took her to the doctor this morning.

Her right ear, the "hot" one, was indeed infected. The other ear, however, held a much more fun surprise. The doctor pulled out a little wad of green foil, covered in ear wax. It was a Hershey's Kiss wrapper! And it must have beenthere for a long time because we only had those in Arizona. EWWW! That's what I get for not cleaning her ears for a month. But then again, maybe it's good that I didn't--I could have pushed it in further since I certainly wouldn't have been watching out for FOIL in her EAR!

I had something else really urgent and funny to tell you, but it has gone away.

I do have a special wish: I wish that everyone could appreciate the insanely ingenious humor of the Christopher Guest mockumentary movies (This Is Spinal Tap, Waiting for Guffman, Best In Show, A Mighty Wind). Seriously--the world would be a better place if people only understood how smart and funny these shows are. Consider this:

They only write story lines and character sketches--no dialogue. So when you see those actors talking in those interviews, they are totally making up everything they say

All the goofy folk songs in "A Mighty Wind" are original pieces written by the cast members. I just can't believe how spot-on they are.

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join the mockumentary fan club, and the world will live as one.

2 comments:

cmhl said...

oh NO!!!! that CAN'T have been pleasant, having that in her ear! hah!!! poor thing!

Jill Petersen said...

You might not ever read my comment because I am commenting way late but I just have to say that I LOVED watching A Mighty Wind with you! Thanks for introducing me to Christopher Guest!

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...