Thursday, May 03, 2007

Apron Day

I recently learned that there are indeed other people under the age of 65 in this world who wear and even collect aprons.
I started my collection about 12 years ago and haven't added to it much lately, except for the fabulous set of bright matching handmade aprons my MIL made for me and my girls this past Christmas (see photo). Cjane declared this "Apron Week" on her blog and has been sharing apron memories all week. You should check them out (I LOVE the one about her mom wearing an apron everywhere and keeping a checkbook in the pocket--hilarious! It totally reminde me of Gramareee--whose aprons I inherited--wearing those snapping housecoats with a slip, knee-hi's, and Keds! AWESOME!).


Celeste Arnett Hall & Me cookin' back in 1999
Liz Kersey Dorathy servin' up buns-n-love, 1999
Dinner Club, 3/14/99: [clockwise] Miki Ogao, Liz, Matt McRae, Celeste & Ryan Hall,
Tom Hapgood, Nic Taylor, & Adriane Parry Hapgood
When I hosted dinner club, I used to make my freinds wear my aprons. These photos show some of my favorite people sporting some of my favorite aprons. The brownish one that Grandma Lyn gave me is still the one I use the most. I have another one from World Market made from the same fabric as my kitchen curtains (which are really World Market dish towels) that I use a lot but don't have a photo of.
So...now you all know that I collect aprons. I also collect postcards and stationery, so if you're ever wondering what to get me, or if you ever see a fabulous apron or postcard, bring it on, y'all! I'd be a grateful recipient.
Got any apron memories? What do you collect?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love collections!! I collect Christmas Tree ornaments. Wherever I go, I pick up something to put on the tree to remind me of the memory. Then, at Christmas time its fun to decorate with all of the memories!!! My latest addition to the collection is a pretty porcelin plumeria flower that I picked up when Kurt and I were in Hawaii a couple of weeks ago. I can't wait until Christmas to put it on the tree!!

chrissy said...

I love aprons, I just always forget to put them on. My favorite is one that looks like a Santa outfit (it's a hit at Christmas parties!)

I just read cjane's post on aprons, where her pregnant sister wore an apron all the time and stuffed the pockets with things she used on a daily basis so she didn't have to bend over as much. I think I just might have to steal that brilliant idea for the next few weeks...

:)

dscokween said...

i collect hobbies. I really need to get a life outside of crafting...like cleaning and organizing.

So just to enable you, here is a lovely bit of downloadable software which creates vintage aprons.

http://www.wildginger.com/products/WTVintageCollection.htm

dscokween said...

apparently blogger clips addresses...but you get the idea.

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...