Wednesday, May 02, 2007

What I Did Not Have Time to Do...

All of Mormondom is a-buzz with discussion of Helen Whitney's "The Mormons" which aired the past two nights on PBS's Frontline and American Experience programs. On my satellite PBS channel, I don't get the second part until tonight, but I thought the first night was not so bad. Perhaps it's because I have heard all the crud and character attacks before, having served my mission in the south where, religiously, it's still the 1840's and I could easily be tarred and feathered (no offense, beloved Carolinians!).

Please click HERE to read the blog I wish I had time to write...I just kept saying amen to cjane's ideas as I read it this morning. I can't wait to watch the other half tonight. And just for the record, here is what I have to say about all the church history/Joseph Smith negativity (I said this to someone on my mission): EVEN IF all the things you are saying about Joseph Smith are true, my testimony still stands. Imperfect people are capable of doing great and divine things and bringing to pass lots of good. I try to. And personal life aside, what Joseph Smith restored and organized MAKES MY LIFE BETTER EVERY SINGLE DAY and BRINGS ME CLOSER TO GOD. Judge it by its fruits. End of story.

***
UPDATE: Here's a comment that was left at the Segullah blog mentioned above. I really love it and I have some loved ones who probably identify with it. YOUR THOUGHTS? Please comment.


This is such a great post! All too often it feels as though the members of the church are almost competing to be the “most perfect”. It’s nice for me to hear people admitting/accepting that the members of the church (including ourselves) are not perfect, and I’m sure it’s nice for investigators to hear as well.

I was raised in the church and sometimes it’s hard for me to deal with the “perfect person” attitude, imagine what it must be like for someone who is thinking about joining the church. I mostly base this on the fact that my ex-husband was investigating the church and I think (he never actually verbalized this) that he was scared away because he knew he’d never be able to do all the things he thought were absolutely necessary. Now, I’m not saying that all those things he thought were necessary aren’t things we strive for, but I think he felt if he couldn’t do them all perfectly he couldn’t be a member of the church. There are so many things, in hindsight, that I wish I could go back and tell him.

Here’s the member I am: I smoke and I’m inactive. Of course I want to
correct my problems (that’s only the two most noticeable), but they are my imperfections and they don’t stop me from believing 100% in the truth of the gospel. They don’t stop me from knowing that WITH the gospel and God’s help I will eventually be able to correct my imperfections. It doesn’t work the other way around…I can’t correct my imperfections and then start trusting in God and His gospel…believe me, I tried that.

Thanks for this wonderful, thought-provoking post.

3 comments:

Laura said...

AMEN James! We watched both parts.....and I even took notes. Silly right? I got more emotional on the second part, But Darrin and I did watch the whole thing and even had a little discussion about it. I went to the PBS web site and I read most of the comments that people had left. It was good to see how passionate people are about the gospel. Love you.

Anonymous said...

Jamie,

I'm with you. I watched both nights, and it was good for me to see that no matter what negative things were said, it did not change my knowledge and my beliefs. My testimony stands unshaken. I don't understand everything that has happened in the history of the church, because I don't see the whole picture the way God does. But this much I do know: The church has blessed my life and the life of my family in every way. Like you, it has made me the person that I am and is helping me, and my family, to reach our potential. I am grateful every day that I have a testimony and that I know who I am. There is so much security and peace in that knowledge.

Love, Debbie

Laura said...

Wow, I could have written the second part of that comment from the other blog.....except now I am not inactive, But still working on the other thing. I love you........By the way...We helped Amie move back home today! Woo Hoo!

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...