Sunday, November 11, 2007

Punk Gospel

[This is my all-time favorite picture of mortal Jesus--it's by Bloch and he's being comforted in Gethsemane. It reminds me what he did for me]


There are a lot of people in my Ward Family (church) overcoming addictions of many sorts-- substances, behaviors, attitudes--and at church today, I heard lots of real, sincere, "How are you"'s. It really made me think of THIS scripture in Mark in the New Testament, about how Christ's church is a place we come to be healed, not to show off our righteousness or our wellness. It felt a little different today, like a family caring for each other and I like days like that. I wish people who stay away because of their sins knew they'd be in good company if they came to church, and they'd be stronger when they left.

One conversation made me think of an old favorite song. I found it on YouTube! It's not allowed to be embedded, but you can click here to go watch the (still-so-sizzlin'-hot-it-gives-me-chills, one of the best shows I have ever seen) video to Social Distortion's Ball & Chain.

Here are the lyrics:

"Well it's been ten years and a thousand tears
And look at the mess I'm in:
A broken nose and a broken heart,
An empty bottle of gin.
Well I sit and I pray
In my broken down Chevrolet
While I'm singin' to myself
There's got to be another way

[Chorus:]
"Take away, take away
Take away this ball and chain
'Cause I'm lonely and I'm tired
And I can't take any more pain
Take away, take away
Never to return again
Take away, take away
Take away.......
Take away this ball and chain.

"Well I've searched and I've searched
To find the perfect life
A brand new car and a brand new suit
I even got me a little wife
But wherever I have gone
I was sure to find myself there
You can run all your life
But not go anywhere..."

***


" And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. "


-Ether 12:27, The Book of Mormon

2 comments:

Carpfam said...

Jamie!!! This is your second cousin (i think...) Liz (Clark) Carpenter! I am trying to organize my addresses for Christmas cards so I can actually send them out before New Years! And anyway I came across your darling card and saw that you have a blog! Well I was so excited I had to come and check it out, your little family is just darling! We have a blog too and would love for you to check it out. I am going to link you guys so I can check back often! I hope you're doing well and loving this wonderful time of year!! Liz
carpfam.blogspot.com

Carla said...

Dang you Jamie! Two posts in a row that make me cry (this and the Veterans picture)...what up? This past Saturday I had a "melt-down" to end all melt-downs and totally had to eat humble pie and just needed to thank you for reminding me with that scripture. Poor Gene, I'm sure he's singing "take away this ball and chain" meaning me! haha.

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...