Saturday, December 22, 2007

The Season of Giving


I read this great story posted by Jessica today, and it reminded me of two random kindnesses I have received in recent history...I'll be back (after I get the kids to sleep) to write about them, but for now, leave a comment and tell me about some anonymous gift you have received!
(A) The Costco Fairy
A few years ago, when Heidi was a baby, I think, I went to Costco to get a few things--I remember I got 2 gallons of milk, shredded cheese, bananas, and some other stuff. I got in a fairly long line with my toddler and my baby and when I got to the checkstand, I didn't have my debit card with me! I was horrified, because I had no other method of payment and I had driven 25 miles to get this stuff--it was horrible. Before I even finished digging through my bag, a card was swiped, a receipt was printed and I was sent on my way. I looked at the woman behind me in line. She smiled and said, "Just let me take care of it." I protested and asked if I could have her address so I could pay her back, but she just said, "Let me do this...just pass it on when you can!" I was so embarassed, but then I thought I WOULD pass it on, and I would have done the same thing in her shoes. I hope it inspired all the people who watched our interaction as well!
(B) Money Mailbox
Our first Christmas in Livingston was a slim one because Richard had only been working three months after being laid off for three months. I had mixed feelings about EVERTHING then, but especially feeling like the ward charity case (I would soon learn that our entire ward was a huge family, overflowing with charity cases AND charity, adn I had nothing to be embarrassed about). The Relief Society President had come over to visit me, and then said she wanted to talk to me as a friend, not a RSP. She said she was grateful we had moved here and wanted to be sure I stayed. She and her husband gave us a gift card with considerable credit at Albertson's. That was amazing to me, and I remain grateful to this day for that and all of her kindnesses to me. BUT that was not the end of the random kindness! One day about that smae time, I opened up our mailbox and found an unmarked security envelope with $80 in it! What's even more of a mystery is how it got in there, since we had those locking apartment mailboxes down in our lobby. We were able to get some Christmas gifts for eachother and some decorations for our apartment, and we are so thankful for that anonymous, selfless act (Thanks to the giver is you're reading this!):)

2 comments:

Lyndi said...

The first Christmas we lived in Pocatello, we were so poor. We lived in a crummy little duplex, with two bedrooms upstairs and a 1/2 finished one in the basement. Lisa and Laura had their 1st birthday there. One night someone left a box on the porch with all the food for a nice Christmas dinner and gifts for each of the kids.....I was so touched by the kindness. It was a bright spot in the misery that was the year and a half that we lived there.

Jenn said...

We had just moved to Montana, and aside from that adjustment, I was also struggling with being a NEW convert to the church with a VERY non-active spouse. A few days before Christmas I came home to find a basket on the porch. It had some hot cocoa tins, some really cute "apple" mugs and the greatest book ever! It is a hard-bound Book of Mormon for LDS Families. It has wonderful pictures and great "footnotes". I was so touched by that gift. I just love that book. I still have it sitting on my "special" book shelf. I still have no idea who left that gift.
Every year it helps me remember what Christmas is all about, especially when it feels like we don't have much!

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...