Saturday, December 29, 2007

The Weather Outside is Frightful

Hi. It's a lazy Saturday and it's snowing really hard...that super-frozen, powdery Livingston snow that just blows away in the wind. I did a bunch of housework this morning and my niece and nephew, Summer and TJay came over, so we've been hangin'---laundry, Polly Pocket Princesses, dress ups, goldfish crackers and pears. And a bit of a headache. Maybe it's a holiday hangover...



I just wanted to post a couple of comments before I start posting the Christmas pix. First of all, I was adn still am pretty sad about Benazir Bhutto's assassination. It's hard to know just how honorable or corrupt her government really was, but I always admired her. She was elected as Prime Minister of Pakistan when I was a junior in High School (I think) and I remember talking about her in government class, how weird it was that in Israel and Pakistan they had female leaders and we still didn't have many in the US. And I thought she was so pretty! Anyway, I was just glued to CNN Thursday morning and have felt a lingering sadness for the enduring violence and determination of Al Quaeda, even after we have fought them for 6 years. Sometimes I just wish we could cut loose on them and get out...sigh. I think the climate in Pakistan is more significant to us than we know right now. I mean, she was killed mere miles from where bin Laden is supposed to be hiding (Brent, I watched a bunch of news reports given in Urdu this week! It's a real language afterall...how useful you must be as an Urdu speaker!)



Also, I found this GREAT blog about Sister Beck's talk...I thought I should post the link because it's well done. CLICK HERE to get the crux of the argument and some sound reasoning and strong testifying. I know it's sounds so cheesy, but I find myself saying so often, "Why can't we all just get along?" It's still so weird to me that adult women still do junior-high-ish things to eachother, backstabbing and smack-talking, when sisterhood is SUCH a better and neccessary option! I am thankful that Heavenly Father has been teaching me how to look beyond words or behavior to understand intent and thoughts, and make friends rather than enemies. I want to get really good at that! I just wish ALL women could be teammates rather than competitors.

Well, bubby is crying and we are trying to decide what to do for dinner. I wish you all the happiest Sabbath! I'll work on posting photos this weekend.

2 comments:

Creole Wisdom said...

First of all, Happy Sabbath (it's 1:13 am here).

I knew there might be a little scandal about that talk. I read something from Sunstone about it. It is just so interesting to me.

I also and SO HAPPY kids still play with Polly Pockets. I just decided to walk down the toy aisle today at Target and needless to say I was SHOCKED!!!! What is with some of the toys now?!?!? Glad they at least have some sense left in MT. Another reason I am moving there (haha)

Glad you are having snow and enjoying your family being over.

: )

Jenn said...

I too am a bit sad about the whole Pakistan thing...it's just crazy!
As for the whole-sisterly-love-thing...I know EXACTLY what you mean! Some of us just have more to learn than others! Someof us were never taught to play fair and to think of our fellow sisters..and that in it's self is pretty dog gone sad!

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...