Saturday, June 07, 2008

Vancouver, Days Two & Three

Greetings from the seventh circle of Heck! Just kidding, but it is pretty much my nighmare to be caring for 5 kids, rainy day after rainy day, trying to keep them quiet and keep them from torturing the poor dog. It's awesome. I just keep telling myself, now mom knows how much I love her!!!! ;)

As you probably read on Mom's blog (Mark is guest blogging), Mom successfully completed her first round of chemotherapy yesterday. She has been remarkably well--I am sooo proud of her! I don't know what I was expecting--I guess my expectations have been tainted by shows like "Dying Young" and "Crazy, Sexy Cancer." It's different for everyone, but I expected it to be worse for her. Of course, after giving birth to eight children and knowing all too well how to deal with nausea and discomfort, she is a total pro!

I am so glad Mark was with her yesterday. He is long gone now, and I hope she isn't feeling too bad. My kids got up at 6am--I have no clock in my room, so I got them dressed, got in the shower myself, and made up a bunch of french toast when I looked up at the clock and it said 7:11am. I was NOT happy about that, especially since we woke up mom in the process. I think I am going to make them do some chores and then we are going to IKEA--I will check them in to the play place and pick up some stuff for mom (a clip line from which to hang all her well-wishes in her room--I thought that would lift her spirits) and some lingon berries and meatballs for dinner. Then we will all get a needed break--me from KidChaos, mom from noise and interruptions, and the kids from boredom and distracted adults. Sounds like a win-win.

Yesterday was cold and rainy, and today looks like more of the same. We did a little shopping yesterday while mom was at the cancer center--we will be celebrating Rich's bday and Father's Day a little late when we get home, so I want my van to be like Santa's sleigh for Rich!;) He is so supportive and awesome--taking care of an open house at our house tonight, helping me get here to be with mom (he said as I left, "You take good care of my mother-in-law!"--so sweet), and being cool with having extra kids at our house all summer. He rocks in so many ways! Anyway, we did get a nice nap yesterday, and the RS brought pizza for dinner. The kids had a movie night, watching "Night at the Museum" while Nana rested, Papa worked, and I snuck in a little reading (I bought David Sedaris' "Naked" and it's just as funny as "Denim and Corduroy"--I am thinking about splurging on his new book--it will be good, light reading for the chemo room on Monday). Life is so good, and we are all being blessed in so many little ways, moment to moment. I just pray for mom's comfort--I have accepted the trial, the challenge, I just don't want it to be any hareder on HER than it has to be, ya know??? I feel bad for her because without her meds, her arthritis is probably worse than the cancer or chemo. I wish I could give her my tub!!!

On that note, I think I am going to take these kids away for a while! Leave me some comments--I'll need them by day's end! ;)

7 comments:

Shoeaddict said...

You are a trooper! Happy (early) Father's Day to your great husband! I'm praying for you and your mom and all the rest.

I am glad to hear all is "basically" okay. I cannot get over the fact that it's actually cold there. It is so hot here.

Wishing ya'll peace and strength.

Jill Petersen said...

Mom has always known how much you love her but doing all these extra things gives you more points! ha ha! I am so glad it's not too bad and you have a plan to keep the kids happy. I think it would be fun to go to Ikea with you! The idea you have to hang all the well wishes is sweet! Just don't make her room look too much like a hospital room! I love you sis. I appreciate all the updates. I talked to Mom a bit ago and I think I woke her up- not that she can really sleep feeling as sick as she does. It made me tear up. I don't know what I am in for! Your idea of it all totally reminded me of "Dying Young". We are all praying here in the Petersen house and I will see you next week! Thank goodness for awesome husbands!

Laura said...

I want to be there so bad. I want to hug my mom and just lay next to her. Give her kisses for me. I love you to James, You rock in the caring department.

Jenn said...

Sorry that you are juggling the whole kid thing...but hey they are all still alive, that's a good thing!!! :) Well I'm thinking of you...and missin' ya. Love ya!

AuntieM said...

Thanks Jamie for your input and updates. I love you so and are thankful you are there. isolation is not so good for the soul. small spurts alows introspection but total quiet (eventhough you wish at times it was that way)leaves you lonely. Don't worry about the kids so much. Your Mom will let you know when she has had enough noise. Drug induced sleep is very deep.:) Love to you and the Kidos and to Your sweet Hubby. All you sweethearts and Dads thank you for all you do to make our world safe and loving. YOU ROCK!!!

Creole Wisdom said...

Jamie- hugs and prayers for you mom! I know this must be difficult, you are a queen! Keep on truckin' : )

PS- are you coming to Utah this summer?

Happy Gilmores said...

Rich did good on Saturday! Not only hosting an open house but family pictures to boot!

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...