Tuesday, January 13, 2009

No Superman

I am practically making myself sick with sentimentality this week. I've had a facebook reunion with some of the best friends from my formative years and I've traveled down memory lane an awful lot. Of course that lane leads to a place where adult life was just beginning and emotions and experiences were fresh & more intense...I'm amazed at how far I traveled between 15 and 30 (it's been pretty awesome SINCE 30, too, but much cozier and less crazy, thank heaven).



Then mix in my reunion with my friends at Sacred Heart, and I am just a ball o' mush! The second episode that aired tonight was so awesome, like the good ol' days. I laughed out loud when JD's inner voice said, "This is getting too serious--hurry! Kick her! Kick her in the head!" because I think I have actually seen that thought cross the mind of a few boys in certain conversations. And when JD took Elliot's hand at the end, my heart skipped a beat (I told you I am WAY too attached to these characters). I felt simultaneous exhilaration and dread because, dude--how many times have I been RIGHT THERE?


How many times have I KNOWN what the outcome was going to be but went for the ride anyway? THAT, I thought to myself--THAT is how you end up dating for 15 years before you're with someone you can mary! A2 sprung to mind immediately, of course, thinking of how, after TEN YEARS of on-and-off, he took my hand and said, "Tell me again why you can't marry me?" and I was so flustered, I couldn't remember all my good reasons except to say, "We'd kill each other" and then we almost did. And after that, there was my flyboy [read: playboy] A4, who landed his plane in SLC and came by my office for a friendly visit. I thought it would be lunch, but he stayed and watched me work for 3 hours, then took my hand as we walked to the parking lot (huh?!) and lunch turned into three days of manic inseparability. Oh, silly me.


Of course, I am totally rooting for JD and Elliot. They've totally earned it, but my own life makes me cynical. In my world, the right thing was effortless and obvious, drama-free, and it happened so fast my head spun (por ejemplo: I met Rich on 9/23/00...14 months later, we were married and had a child). I guess the point is that I hope everyone (even my imaginary TV friends and my far-away cyber-reunion friends) has a happily ever after like mine, whatever road it took to get there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it just me, or has the show lost it's rhythm since moving to ABC? It's like the actors aren't really into it anymore. Sad, coz that's one of the best sitcoms EVER!

lishajeanne said...

Hi! My name is Lisha. I went to college in paradise with Rich. He shot my wedding. I too am having a college roomie/facebook reunion. Love Scrubs. Where in AZ are you from? We were there over Christmas visiting my husbands family. Sorry for the random, but nice to meet you and if you don't mind, I will probably read your blog. Here is mine if you want to make sure I am not cyberstalking you! :) lishajeanne.blogspot.com

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...