Sunday, May 24, 2009

Singin' In The Rain...

It's been a pretty busy week. I walked at least 3 miles 4/6 days, worked on the yard every day, created a 15-page pre-school year book from a cd of 500 pictures, gave a lesson in poetry (including a workbook) to 9 Activity Day girls, cooked dinner 5/6 nights, AND kept the kids alive and the house clean...or presentable, anyway. I said lots of prayers for my poor nephew, Gabriel, who broke--yes, BROKE--his ankle last week and had surgery Wednesday. I squeezed in watching (on DVR) GLEE (loved it!) and the Idol finale (best one yet), and today I spoke in sacrament meeting with our high councilor. The topic was broad--Testimony-- and I mostly used this talk by Henry Eyring and this talk by Richard G. Scott. I got unexpectedly emotional when I spoke about preparing our children for the trials they will surely face. I love this quote from Elder Eyring:

"We have the greatest opportunity with the young. The best time to teach is early, while children are still immune to the temptations of their mortal enemy and long before the words of truth may be harder for them to hear in the noise of their personal struggles. ...The question should not be whether we are too tired to prepare to teach doctrine or whether it would be better to draw a child closer by just having fun or whether the child is beginning to think that we preach too much. The question must be, 'With so little time and so few opportunities, what words of doctrine from me will fortify them against the attacks on their faith which are sure to come?' The words you speak today may be the ones they remember. And today will soon be gone."

For some reason, it just sends chills down my spine. I try to be inspired rather than discouraged by all the teaching time I have squandered already. And I try to be grateful that I have a husband who is committed to Family Night and teaching our children-- I know a lot of women don't really have that support.

Anyway, I am ready for a little holiday tomorrow. We plan to spend it working on our yard and on the tree house at the ranch...maybe we will fit in a tiny bit of relaxation. Speaking of relaxation, I am excited to hear about my grandparents' Alaskan cruise. They are so brave! They left Thursday for a 10-day adventure with Aunt Marti & Uncle Ralph. I hope they have a marvellous time.

It's raining right now, so I hope it help what we have planted so far, and won't hinder our progress tomorrow. I'll try to take some photos. They won't be spectacular because most everything is a seed or seedling (and I froze three tomato plants and some marigolds on Wednesday night, dang it!).

I am off to visit teach mi amigas Jen & Debbie tonight with my comp, Krista J. It'll be fun. More tomorrow, I hope...

1 comment:

Laura said...

Thanks for the prayers. He is doing a lot better. Miss you.

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...