Thursday, September 17, 2009

My Mommy is Sick

My mom was admitted to the hopital yesterday with hemolytic anemia. She got a blood transfusion and stayed overnight in the ICU at American Fork hospital. After poking around on the internet I disovered that it is not uncommon for lymphoma patients or RA patients to get this illness, and someone would have caught it much sooner if she had still been in Washington with her oncologists following up. They will stabilize her, give her more dang corticosteroids, perhaps a new diet, perhaps a spleenectomy. I am sure that chemotherapy was hard on her whole body, and I am sure that even a small virus can send her body into all kinds of trouble with RA. I'm sad I am not there and hope everything goes okay today (my grandparents came to visit her for 2 weeks and arrived on Tuesday, so that will be comforting for her). Dang it.

6 comments:

Cannwin said...

is the longterm prognosis good? I'm so sorry for you Jamie, I hope she is comfortable at least.

Jamie said...

Well, yeah, I guess. I mean, the blood transfusions made her well, but the root cause is either an infection, or an RA or lymphoma flare-up, so she is sick. She'll alwyas be sick, I guess. It's hard because even a cold virus wreaks such havoc, we just never know if she's gonna be fine or it's going to kill her, ya know?

Cannwin said...

Well don't let her use the blood as an excuse. Some people who've had blood tranfusions (not me... I'd never do such a thing *wink*) like to say that whomever donated the blood must have been a procrastinator/late riser/bad cook because it seems to be rubbing off on them.

It's really just an excuse some people use to get out of work. (but like I said, not me)

Cannwin said...

Oh and I'll keep your mom in my prayers. :)

Juliana said...

Dang it is right! I hope she is doing alright!

The Erickson Five said...

Jamie...so sorry! She and all of you will be in our prayers! XO

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...