Thursday, October 01, 2009

Schooled at School

Today was my first day of working in Addie's classroom, even though her teacher and I have been planning on doing it for a month (James has a playdate with his cousins from 8:30-12:30-ish). So I observed for about a half hour while they worked on their reading/phonics program "Fundations" (Are any of you familiar with this program? It is spectacular! Even I was having fun!). When I learn the program, I will help the kids who aren't getting it during that time. Then we did centers--one group did reading and worksheets at their desks, one group did reading lessons at a table with the teacher, and one group did an art project with me that correlated with their story of the week (the illustrations are collages and they're framed with these cute borders that look like quilts).

So all of the little "paper quilt" frames turned out beautifully--every single one--but every single kid had a different method for putting them together. I kept wanting to compliment the kids who were doing it the way I would do it (gathering up all the squares of paper I liked, then arranging them into coordinated patterns before reaching for the glue and creating the frame--the more organized, less creative way), when I realized that all the results were amazing and it didn't matter how the thing got made. See where I got schooled? It's quite the parable for life, that most of us are striving for the same ends, but often there are as many means of getting there as there are people. In most of our pursuits, the means don't matter as long as there is a beautiful end.

I came home at lunch time, but on the way home, I felt so motivated, I thought about how I could make Thursday all about my kids. I could help in Heidi's class for a while, too (maybe 8:30-10:30 with Addie and 10:30-lunch with Heidi) and bring sack lunches for all 3 of us to share, and then come home and get James. I think that would be fun. And just a month ago, I was thinking, "Yay, they're back in school! I am going to have a 4-hour block all to myself for the first time in 8 years," and Thursday was going to be Me day. It only took a couple of weeks (and no Me days at all) for me to miss my kids enough to trade in a Me day for a Kid day. Once in a while I have clarity and see how fast their childhoods are passing and know that my hobbies, educational goals, and heck--even the dishes, will still be there when my little ones are grown and gone. I've only got one shot at this, and I think I've already spent too much of it cleaning! ;)

3 comments:

Carla said...

That's the very reason why I homeschool (though there are days that I wish they were in BOARDING school)! ;)

Aim said...

Wow I feel like i'm in the twilight zone cause I just had that same realization today! I actually had planned on trading with a friend who wanted to volunteer in her little girl's class so that I could take some horseback ridding lessons. But then today I just had this overwhelming feeling that this whole childhood thing is not going to last and all the sudden I found myself in Jake's classroom today helping out for a little while instead.

Also jacob LOVES school lunch. They call it "hot lunch." Heaven knows why he loves it cause I think it tastes like crap but I told him that once a month me and sammy would come in and have hot lunch with him. I love it. It's just so fun to be in there! And as I'm muscling down gummy lukewarm pizza and cold canned green beans I try to remind myself how much I wanted school lunch when I was his age too.

Strupp Family said...

Wow, you are seriously so insightful. I need to hang out with you more often and you can impart your wisdom onto me :) This is as far as I got reading your blog, cause now I'm really tired--but you can now access my blog from my comment (if you'd like, but I have to warn you: I don't have the deep thoughts that you have) Oh yeah, and your kids are soooo cute!

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...