Thursday, January 21, 2010

In the Bleak Midwinter...

I have kinda been in hibernation mode here. I've had a lot of pain and headache this week that I've been battling with Excedrin migraine and Classical Stretch. I am thankful for PBS! I felt terrible on Tuesday morning, but napped with James and got myself together enough to go to temple in Billings that night, and I am glad of that. Also, the kids have been pretty dang good and I am so thankful for them! Here's a little update:

Addie has been baking up a storm with her EZ Bake oven. Correct me if I am wrong, but I really thought this little episode was amazing: While I was taking a nap and visiting teaching on Sunday, she looked up some EZ Bake recipes on the internet and made them! She found a recipe for Barbie's Pink Sparkle Cake and made 4 of them. Then she made the icing from scratch and decorated the cakes with frosting and valentine candy sprinkles. They were seriously adorable (she took one to Uncle Mike) and really tasty. I was just so surprised she could do that by herself! She even took one of my recipe cards and wrote down the recipe--so cute!
Addie & Heidi making angel cookies for Tuesday's afterschool snack.
Dear Heidi Egan (aka "Big Heidi"),
I think I may have given birth to one of your children. Not only is she the only true blonde in our family, but I caught her chugging pickle juice on Tuesday. I know that she would live much better on a farm in a more artistic family, so you can pick her up anytime.
Love, Jamie

PS: I am totally joking about the picking her up because I would die of boredom without my sunshine. Little Heidi, you're not goin' anywhere cuz I love you too much.

***
I made up a new recipe on Tuesday and I wrote it down like my MIL keeps telling me to do. So here you have it, folks...

Breadmaker Chicken Cordon Bleu Bundles

2 Large Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts, fileted into 4 breasts
8 slices deli ham, cut in half to make 16 slices
8 slices swiss cheese (approx. 3” square)
Shredded colby jack cheese (optional—my girls don’t like swiss cheese and I lke them melted together)
1 loaf of breadmaker dough
1 egg for egg wash

Preparation:
1. Start breadmaker on “dough” setting using regular white bread recipe (mine takes 90 minutes, so do this first).
2. Preheat oven to 350
Filet chicken breasts and place on large piece of foil.
Pour ½ c Italian dressing over chicken, wrap and bake for 45 minutes.
Remove from oven, let juices drain, and set aside to cool. Gather all ingredients for bundle assembly.
3. When dough is ready, remove from breadmaker and lightly knead. Divide into 8 balls (like large rolls) and roll out to 6-7 inch circles.
4. Cut chicken filets in half, making 8 pieces—1 for each bundle. Salt & Pepper them to taste.
5. Assemble bundles: sprinkle dough circle with cheese, spread with optional sauce (below), lay down one slice of ham, one piece of chicken, a slice of swiss cheese, and top with anotherr slice of ham. Gather dough around meats and cheese and twist dough into a knot, securing with wet fingers.
6. Place bundles on large baking sheet covered with foil (save yourself the mess of leaky cheese).
7. Whisk one egg in a small bowl and brush egg over bundles to create a crisp, golden brown top (I also sprinkled on some sesame seeds at this point, just because I had them).
8. Bake the bundles for about 45 minutes, until the bread is the desired shade fo golden brown and remove from oven. Cool 5 minutes and serve.


Optional Honey Dijon Sauce
(can be used in the assembly of the bundles or served on the side for dipping)
2TB mayonnaise
1TB dijon mustard
1TB honey
Whisk together in small bowl and set aside til assemby time.

***

You could totally make these with thawed Rhodes Rolls or (of course) your own regular bread dough. The stuffing is variable, too--you could spread on some cream of chicken and chopped broccoli & spinach (Costco style), or stuff with scrambled eggs, cheese, and sausage, or use salami, pepperoni, mozzarella (calzone style), and use bacon rather than ham. It's just so versatile and yummy!

4 comments:

Aim said...

ughk! chugging pickle juice! hahaha, yucky! Thats funny. And that recipe looks delicioso!

Laura said...

Yum James! I have done the pizza one.

Elizabeth said...

She can come visit me too, that Heidi fo yours. I love pickle juice! Never throw away the jar when the pickles are gone 'cause the juice isn't!

Jill Petersen said...

I am totally lovin' the fact that Addie looked up recipies and made them! Thank goodness for the internet!!! I love that girl. I could have never done that as a kid. I bet Ally could though!

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...