Wednesday, April 07, 2010

On Tuesday

I got my family all dressed and sunscreened and ready for a day at Reid Park and the zoo, then I went over to the hospital at 8:30am. I heard Grandpa talking to the nurse as soon as I entered the hall. He had just eaten his breakfast and had his vitals checked. I walked in and he said, "Well, Jamie Lynn! Look at you!" We sat and talked for a while --he was a little groggy from taking a pain pill--and he asked about each of my siblings. He asked about my mother three different times. He kept saying, "It's so good to see you. I'm glad you're here, but I wish you hadn't come...it' so expensive...you're so busy...How's your mother? Tell her to stay home and get well...her children need her." He asked me to rub his back, which four of us (gram, aunt marti, and cousin Joseph) did all day long. At one point, the three of us girls ended up gathered around the bed talking--Marti at his feet, me at his back, Grandma applying topical eczema cream to his arms and face--and Grandpa piped up, "Know what I'm thinking about? I'm thinking about how much the Savior must have loved and blessed those women who anointed Him." Yes, that pretty much slayed us. I was so thankful for the privilege.

Grandma Lyn is clearly being buoyed up and strengthened by the Spirit. She is being remarkably brave and organized and clear-minded about all of this. Yesterday she got all the legal and financial papers in order and Jay Busby came with a notary to get them signed. He promised Grandpa he would be sure she was well cared for, as did Joe Ballantyne (their financial guy) last night. The great thing about these men is that, not only are they excellent at their jobs as attorneys and accountants, they LOVE my grandparents with all their hearts, and what a joy and relief it is to have people you know and trust in those positions at such a time as this! Bless Grandma's brave heart! She reminded Grandpa all day long, "I am okay...I am being loved and cared for, you don't have to do this, you can go whenever you want..." It's really the most exquisitely bittersweet thing.

Being at the hospital all day was like a This Is Your Life episode. First thing in the morning, sweet Bill Doane came by--he was my Bishop in High School and saved me from a world of hurt. There are no words for how nice it was to see him, nor for the stab of pain in my heart as he took Grandpa's face in his hands, with tears running down his cheeks and said, "We love you, President. You've blessed our lives so much." He took a tissue as he left and I saw his shoulders shake as he walked away crying. What a wonderful man. Later, other friends and the current Bishop came, my sister Jill and brother Michael, my Elrey uncles and cousins Joseph, David, and Scott, and President Busby and Joe Ballantyne.I had lunch in the cafeteria with Grandma while Aunt Marti and Jill went to the Cheesecake Factory and bought cheesecake for the nurses. During lunch I talked on the phone to my sister Laura and my brother Sam. Later while Grandma was picking up Chinese food for Grandpa's dinner, my sister Lisa called--she lost her father in law last night...sad days (our prayers are with you and your family today, Chris).

I took Grandma to renew her temple recommend at the stake center, where Barney Lewis interviewed her through tears when she told him that Grandpa had signed what was certainly his last Patriarchal Blessing today. "He always said he wanted to live to be 85 and give 700 blessings," Grandma explained. "He turned 85 last Monday and today's blessing was number 701, so I guess he's done!" Amazing.

It's so good to be here...I am thankful for he chance. But I want our loved ones who can't be here to know that Grandpa is mindful of you. I know he feels your prayers and knows of your love. He wants us to know that "all is well"--he said that over and over yesterday (he repeated the phrases, "all is well" and "so much love" several times yesterday, which I think says a lot about his state of mind...at peace). He wants us all to be focused on our families, to attend to "the holiness of daily living," and to continue his legacy by building eternal families of our own. Don't break the chain! ;)

I am too sick to visit him today. They gave him some immunosuppressant drugs last night and he nurse said I can't expose him to my germs. So I plan on hanging out with Kristen and Owen at her mom's for a while and doing chores/errands around Grandma's house (goal #1= fix her computer! I read her all your emails and facebook messages from my laptop yesterday and she loved it!). Laura, call the room today and see if he's well enough to talk--520-873-5108. He said he would love to talk to you yesterday, but there was never a long-enough, quiet moment. Thank you for your messages and prayers. We feel them. XO

5 comments:

Aaron Johnson said...

Jaime, Thanks for chronicling thes moments. I tear up every time I read your narratives. Please continue. We/I love him so much and it is very hard to think that I may never be able to see him again. Thank you!
Aaron

The Lyon Den said...

It makes me sad to know that your Grampy is sick. I hope that you have the nicest of times visiting with your family.
Oh what I would give for a day at Reid Park Zoo! If I ever make it back to Tucson that will be the first place I visit.
Love you

lizardofoz said...

i agree with aaron, thank you, and i'm not a member of your family, but still appreciate reading this. your grandparents touched many lives, and i can only aspire to live so that my passing is a peaceful an experience as this. thank you.

Lisa Oslin said...

Jamie, thank you for keeping us all in the loop. I am so thankful for your blogs...Thank you for thinking of Chris and his family during our own worries and sadness. It has been a tough few months and we are at peace with the passing of Tom. He was a good man.
We are heading down to Benson tonight after Cody gets off work and will be in Tucson on Thursday for some of our own family time.
Give my mommy and my papa and Grammy hugs and kisses and tell them we love them. We will see you tomorrow. Love you!!!

Jenn said...

Hugs!

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...