Friday, August 20, 2010

Sublime

"adjective; tending to inspire awe because of elevated quality or transcendent excellence."
I am surprised, over and over again, that I am completely smitten with BOTH my home in Montana and my home in Arizona. When I am in Montana, even in winter, I am often overcome with the feeling of awe, of asking myself, "how did I not live here for 30 years of my life? This is heaven on earth..." And I no longer get homesick for Arizona (well, I confess, except in February or March...then I wish I could visit for 3 weeks and soak up some sun).
However, when I get to Arizona, East Tucson, to be specific, my heart strings get yanked big time and I think to myself, "It's just so beautiful--so starkly gorgeous--how did I leave?" Yes, I even said that this scorching morning, sitting by the pool after an invigorating morning swim, sipping a leftover eegees, looking at the bougainvillaes climbing the adobe wall next to the trickling fountains decorated with cobalt Mexican tiles of intricate design...all things I took for granted growing up that I love now. Bright, sharp, stinging sunshine, the scent of hot pavement, cresote, mesquite wood, and chlorinated water...mmmmm, home. Other home.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Ok enough with the visual aids!!! Now I'm jealous...actually I was already jealous...but that's ok. I'll get "home" soon enough!

CrumpyLady said...

Ditto and Amen Sister! I feel EXACTLY the same way about my home town. I wish I had family to draw me back more often. The Arizona desert is one of the most beautiful places on the planet! And the smell of cresote...especially in the rain...is one of the best SMELLS on the planet. Love AZ!

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...