Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Giving Thanks, Days 22-30

I was drowning in post-holiday funk Monday, sad about circumstances on both sides of our extended families, missing my people, neck-deep in stuff to clean up. The kids DID go to bed nicely after decorating the Christmas trees in their rooms for FHE, so that was a tender mercy. Rich went out to take out the ranch trash, so I thought it would be good to take a nice hot bath and read. But my book ("Then Again") was in the car (shucks!). Then I noticed the new Ensign & Friend magazines, so I took them down and had a good soak and read. The messages made me feel so much better, like a band-aid for all the sore spots. I was feeling bad because I tried to get online all weekend and I just couldn't make the time and wondered how I could finish off my month of giving thanks. I turned to pages 4-6 in the Ensign and got my answer from the Youth Section. It's called "Take the Gratitude Challenge," so I accepted. Dear Readers, I give you 100 Things...

I. 10 Physical Abilities:
1. A sound mind and great memory
2. The ability to digest, breathe, and pump blood on my own
3. The ability to walk and run without assistance
4. Sight & Hearing
5. The ability to read
6. Sense of smell & taste
7. The ability to conceive and gestate and make new little people
8. Although it's weak, I am thankful for an immune system that protects and helps heal my body
9. I am thankful that I am not as sensitive to pain as others seem to be.
10. I am thankful to be ale to keep up with my children on most days. I was so afraid of losing that.

II. 10 Material Possessions
1. My house--oh, I am so thankful for a warm and comfy place to live that is within our means to afford!
2. As I said before, I love my van--reliable & comfy transportation
3. Kitchen utensils and appliances where we can make good food for our family
4. A big comfortable bed to sleep in
5. Radio, mp3 and CD players so we can enjoy music & talk
6. Books
7. Our wii, where we can play aport or learning games as a family and stream so many great movies and shows.
8. Appropriate clothing and shoes
9. Camera & Photographs to document this wonderful family life.
10. A washer & dryer--oh, so thankful for clean laundry!

III. 10 Living People
1. My husband, who saved this wretch from a path of lameness & is my best friend.
2. My mother for giving me life
3. My Grandma for loving me unconditionally and being my pal
4. All my daddies for giving me life & keeping me alive & caring about me & my family.
5. Living Prophets to guide us--today, that's Thomas S. Monson
6. My Four Amazing Children who teach me everyday
7. Aunt Debbie for helping me understand Heidi better, and all the Sisterfriends for helping me be a better wife, mom, and Woman.
8. Erin, for being my sister from another mister; for helping me to rise above the crazy and keep choosing the right; and being hilarious and sassy all along the way
9. My siblings--veterans of the same war, best friends on earth.
10. Aunts & Uncles--it takes a village, y'all.

IV. 5 Deceased People (if you add them up, there's more than 10)
1. Grandpa, for helping me grow a testimony and giving me self-respect
2. Prophets who wrote in the scriptures
3. Gramareee
4. Founding Fathers
5. Joseph Smith

V. 10 Things in Nature
1. Sunshine
2. Moving Water
3. Rain
4. Trees
5. Plants we eat
6. Plants that flower & beautify
7. The beach
8. The changing seasons
9. Stars ona clear night
10. Baby Animals

VI. 10 Things About TODAY
1. I got a good night's sleep
2. My husband is cute & thoughtful
3. I don't have pain, I can move & exercise
4. Niles is happy
5. It's sunny and warm
6. The kids' Christmas trees look so cute
7. I got the laundry done
8. Left over turkey!
9. Taking James to the dentist today--love that boy!
10. One more day adn relative peace & freedom

VII. 10 Places on Earth
1. My Home
2. The Temple
3. Our Church Building nearby
4. The Beach, especially the Oregon coast
5. The beautiful forests, fields & mountains of Bavaria
6. London town!
7. Northern Mexico, before the drug & border wars
8. Old Town & Beaches in San Diego
9. Paradise Valley Montana
10. Down town SLC & Temple Square at Christmas time

VIII. 10 Modern Inventions
1. The Interwebs
2. Cellular Phones
3. As stated before, electricity!
4. Indoor plumbing & city water systems
5. Refridgerators
6. Microwaves
7. GPS
8. Ipods
9. Passenger planes & cars
10. Extended-wear contact lenses

IX. 10 Foods
1. Chocolate (Chocolove Dark with Almonds & Sea Salt specifically)
2. Broccoli
3. Spinach
4. Blueberries (and all the "super-foods")
5. Spices & salt & sugar & butter to flavor it all
6. Corn tortillas/chips
7. Tacos
8. Potatoes
9. Montana grass-fed steak
10. Oatmeal & yogurt

X. 10 Things about the Gospel
1. Plan of Salvation-Knowing who I am and why I am here and where I am going
2. Agency- the choices we make everyday matter; in fact, they are everything--they are why we are here, to prove who we really are adn what we really want.
3. Continuing Revelation
5. The Gift of the Holy Ghost and personal revlation- gives me confidence in choices for me and my family
6. The Commandments-living them keeps me from physical and spiritual harm
7. Divine Nature- knowledge that I am a daughter of a Heavenly Mother and Father whose divine attributes I have inherited gives me strength to face life and also inspiration to create and try new things.
8. Repentance & Forgiveness- nothing has to stay as it is; things can and should always get better, and there is never EVER a justification for holding on to bad feelings about ourselves or others--it's so liberating.
9. Families are forever
10. The Atonement of Christ that gives hope in every situation, for every person. Like the song says: "There is hope for every soul that's lost/ there is a way back home no matter where you roam...there's a place for every heart in pain/ a place where there's no hurt and there's no shame...let His Love reach you and teach you every hour."

1 comment:

Stephanie :) said...

What a beautiful way to be able to recognize so many things for which to be grateful! Sometimes it's hard to either be specific enough or general enough in my list of gratitude, but this was perfect! Thank you for sharing. It really helps me contemplate my personal list! Love ya!

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...