Wednesday, August 08, 2012

And so it begins...

After morning chores, the girls decided to ride bikes adn go to the park with friends. When they left at 10:30, I was still working in the kitchen. They told me that Niles and James were playing in their room downstairs, and they took off.

 I finished my work in the kitchen then went out back to water the plants. I found a pair of Niles' shoes and brought them in, which reminded me that it had been awfully quiet for 15 minutes. I went downstairs to put the shoes away and check on the boys. James was reading quietly on the bed. I listened for a second--silence.

"Where is Niles?" I asked James.

"I don't know. He went with the girls," James replied, not even looking up from his book.

 My heart began to race. The girls had gone out through the garage, left the door open, and rode away almost 20 minutes earlier. I checked all the downstairs rooms, including the secret room--no Niles. I had been up stairs before and had not seen or heard him come up, so my mind freaked out--had he followed me out back? Had he tried to follow the girls? Was my 15-month old baby wandering the streets of Livingston!?!

HOLY FREAKING HEART ATTACK!

I ran up the stairs and checked the garage first. I called his name and closed the door. I called out the back door, then ran to each bedroom and bathroom. I checked Addie's room last as I prepared myself to exit the front door and run down the street calling his name. As I opened Addie's door, I found clear evidence of The Honey Badger, but silence...


(yes, that's my flute on the ground)

Not unlike Goldilocks, Niles had tucked himself right into Addie's nicely-made bed (the girls weren't allowed to leave until their rooms were perfect)and settled in for his morning nap.

And I am blogging at my desk, still waiting for the heart palpitations to stop.

I'm having 2006 flashbacks of my naughty Heidi monkey...but this time, I know something I didn't know then:  we will both survive. PHEW!

2 comments:

Sara Hamlin said...

Oh My Gosh. That is crazy. He is too cute. I'm Glad he is ok.

Aim said...

oh my goodness, if that isn't the cutest thing I have EVER seen!! I laughed so hard when I saw it, only because I know all too well that panicky feeling and I was so glad to see it end well.

I was so glad to see you this weekend! Thanks for taking time to get away and hang with us for a little while. I know you guys are super busy right now. But the kids and I just LOVED seeing you! Hope to have you come spend the night sometime soon!

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...