Wednesday, July 17, 2013

It's You & Me in the Summer Time...

I’ve been looking for some framework into which I can fit some thought, memories, personal history, et cetera, so I can get myself back to writing. My mind and time seem to be spread so thin these days, I either have a great train of thought and no time to write it down, or I sit down to write and I am exhausted and uninspired.


Today I was working in the kitchen and I put on a mix cd called “Summertime” which I created about 10 years ago. It has a distinctly bubblegum-pop mixed with rocking-in-the-hammock mixed with let’s-take-a-roadtrip-I’ll grab-the-Big-Gulps spirit to it. Every song brought back distinct and fabulous memories from different parts of my life, I thought it would make a great framework for a collection of memories.


Much of my life I have felt a little embarrassed, even ashamed of my intense reaction/connection to music and also my crazy vivid memory. I come off as overly sentimental, but it’s not like I WANT to remember most of this stuff, it just gets recorded. It’s etched forever in my muscle memory, accessible when music pulls the trigger, while in the meantime I can barely remember what day it is or where I put my keys. However, when I turned forty I gave myself the gift of Not Giving Two Toots what others think and owning who I have become, so there ya go: I love music and it’s a trigger for powerful, vivid memories for me, like it or not.


Without further ado, let’s have a gander at the “Summertime” playlist:

Magic by The Cars
 Summer of ’69 by Bowling For Soup
Where The Streets Have No Name by U2
California Sun by The Ramones
Sugar, Sugar by The Archies
Margaritaville by Jimmy Buffett
Come Away with Me- Norah Jones
Hot In the City- Billy Idol
Hitchin’ A Ride- Vanity Fare
Summer Time-The Sundays
Three Little Birds- Bob Marley
The Joker- Steve Miller Band
Free Fallin’- Tom Petty
Angel of Harlem- U2
I Want You Back- Jackson 5
Buffalo Soldier- Bob Marley
American Girl- Tom Petty
Drivin’ on Nine- The Breeders
Boys of Summer- The Ataris

***
This is the outline for my next few posts. See ya on memory lane!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Dear Jamie,

You gave me copy of that mix-tape CD some years ago and I still have and I'm going to go dig it out and listen to it again right now.

Love,
Lisa

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...