Thursday, January 01, 2015

The First Day of 2015: Melin Kid History


ADELINE (13): I love my family and friends and Nauvoo and this beautiful place where we live.

The best thing that happened in 2014 was our Cousin Dance party for my cousin TJay’s birthday out at the ranch. I also loved seeing Ammon in the hospital when he was born, the night we had s’mores and played Clue at a bonfire by the river at the ranch.  I loved getting to go to the temple three times this year. The trip in August was especially fun because I got to introduce the ward youth to CafĂ© Rio and we kidnapped Clara and Eden Jones  afterward and they became my very best friends. I love watching Dr. Who with them and fangirling.

My happiest moments of 2014 were when Ammon was born, when my friends kidnapped me to celebrate my 13th birthday, making homemade Christmas gifts for my friends and treats for strangers, when I fell down the Jones’ stairs and got hurt and Beatrice and Elanor took care of me.

In 2015, I would like to have longer hair and more Sherlock episodes and more love in the world.

In 2014,  I felt closest to Heavenly Father in the hospital the night Ammon was born when it was just me and mommy and the baby, on temple trips, being with the missionaries in Nauvoo—the older ones and the younger ones who performed for us—and feeling the special Spirit of Nauvoo.

 

HEIDI (10-1/2): You were a great year, 2014. Thanks for turning me into this person.  You introduced me to a lot of things I really love and I feel great about myself.

The best thing that happened in 2014 was Independence Day week. I loved going to the parade with my cousins, floating the river, jumping on the trampoline, camping, and all the fun things we did with cousins.

My happiest moments of 2014 were laughing with Addie, Jeanette, Clara, and Eden. I love having good new friends.

In 2015, I would like to learn to play the piano and drums and read music better.

In 2014, I felt closest to Heavenly Father when we got stuck in the snow at Pine Creek and we prayed to get out. Heavenly Father answered our prayers and we felt safe instead of scared. I felt close to Heavenly Father when we visited Nauvoo. I just thought it was so special how all those people are preserving it and taking care of it and teaching us about Joseph Smith and Brigham Young. I loved being with my family in a fun new place and seeing Grandpa and Grandma on their mission.

 

JAMES (8): It was a really fun year with a lot of really cool Lego sets

The best thing that happened in 2014 was I had a great birthday. It was so exciting. I got baptized and that was special. Then it was so exciting to have a Lego Birthday party and get that cool Star Wars Lego set. Also, I got to start Cub Scouts with my friends Curtis, Kinnick, William, and Zane. I love Cub Scouts.

My happiest moments of 2014 were when Ammon was born and I got to have lunch with Mommy in the hospital. Also, I was so happy when I tore the wrapping paper off that Lego Tank set.

In 2015, I would like to change and be nicer to Niles and be a good big brother.

In 2014, I felt closest to Heavenly Father at my baptism. When I closed my eyes in the water, I pictured Heavenly Father and Jesus. They were smiling and they said, “Thanks for making a good choice.” They were happy for me.

 

NILES (3-1/2): I love Jesus because he loves me. I’m going to be a Sunbeam. I like to shoot my gun. I love James, he makes me happy, soccer makes me happy, and preschool.

 

EPILOGUE: The Last Day of 2014

 We all woke up late except for dad—that poor guy had to go to work. The big kids had stayed up til 1am watching the extended Lord Of the Rings with Uncle Michael and Aunt  Amber, and Ammon was up late feeling yucky  (teething, we think) so we needed a long winter’s nap. Outside, the temp had been hovering around zero for 4 days with a gusty, freezing wind. The day before we woke up to a wind chill of -30. But thing were looking up on the last day of the year—the expected high was 29 degrees! Nonetheless, we kept the fire stoked and cleaned up the downstairs in preparation for some New Year’s partying.

 Uncle Michael, Aunt Amber, their kids Emmalyn and Autumn and their friend Laura were visiting us from Rexburg. The had planned to stay at least until New Year’s Day, but Amber got sick and needed her own bed, so they left before noon on New Year’s Eve—bummer! We got their rooms cleaned up and cleaned the kitchen. Then we made brownies, Chex Mix, artisan bread with herb butter spread, and nachos for New Year’s Eve snacking. Mom needed a nap, so Dad finished the food prep by making Mini-Pigs in a Blanket with Cheddar Little Smokies for the Ward Talent Show refreshments.

 At 4pm, the Jones came over to practice music for the talent show, and we left for the show at 6pm. Uncle Mike Melin joined us. The girls sang “The Last Goodbye” from The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies, and Sister Jones and mom sang, “Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing” a capella with some of the John Wyeth verses added back in. Mom also accompanied the cute Denniston girls singing “Do You Want to Build a Snowman?” and Heidi decided to sing “Rollin’ in the Deep” at the very last moment and she rocked it. Niles did a side show while the missionaries were rapping, showing off his awesome dance moves. We stayed at the church with our ward friends until 8pm, then the Jones Family came over to our house to hang out and ring in the New Year.

We talked, listened to music, ate food, played Yahtzee, snuggled and watched Sherlock upstairs, snuggled and played The Hobbit on Xbox downstairs. We drank Martinelli’s Sparkling Cider at midnight and sang Auld Lang Syne and hit the hay. Ammon fell asleep around 10pm and Niles crashed at 11:50pm, no kidding! He almost made it. We welcomed New Year’s morning with raspberry French Toast and interviews with mom to reflect on 2014 and what we want to happen in 2015. The sun is out, the air is crisp, and there is promise in the air. Happy New Year, everyone!

No comments:

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...