Sunday, May 31, 2015

FAMILY LETTER 05.31.15


Dear Loved Ones,                                                        

The last day of May already!  It was finally warm today, a glimpse of good things to come. We have had a very rainy couple of weeks!

This week has been a fun one and starting out with a Monday holiday made it really fly by. We spent Monday out at the ranch and we are so glad we did! It was sunny and beautiful until late afternoon. The kids went fishing early in the morning, then we played pirates and went swinging, walking, and even took a little nap on a blanket in the sunshine. The Jones family stopped by for an hour or two on their way to a Pine Creek hike. We had lunch at the pavilion and roasted some marshmallows for s’mores dessert. I walked with Robyn down to the beach where the kids played in the sand and we talked about how fun this summer is going to be.  We headed home in time to do laundry and take a good nap and get ready for school the next day. It was a very nice family day.

Tuesday I did my mom jobs during the day and packed some awesome brown bag dinners for my family that night so we could all drive down to Gardiner for James’ baseball game. It was a pretty drive—we saw elk, antelope, bison, Angus cattle, sheep, horses, and gophers a-plenty. The baseball field in Gardiner is right along the old railroad line from Livingston into Yellowstone Park, and the Roosevelt Arch (Yellowstone’s North gate) is right by the field.  James played well, though his team had 5 players and the other team had 12 ;) We didn’t get home until after 8pm, and we missed helping the Roberts family move back into our ward from Idaho, but it was another good time together as a family.

That night after the game, James woke up sick and came to sleep in our room. He ended up throwing up and I was afraid a bug was passing through the family but everyone was fine by Wednesday afternoon, so we let James play in his second to last baseball game that night. Addie went to Bozeman for a Girls’ Camp meeting, Heidi stayed home to do homework, and Rich and I took the little boys and met Grandpa and Grandma Melin at the baseball game. Bless their hearts, the grandparents had just arrived home from New Jersey at 3pm and they still came to cheer for James.

Thursday we were so relieved to have a stay-at-home night, though we had signed up to feed the missionaries dinner. We planned breakfast-for-dinner (pancakes, bacon, and smoothies) but the Elders were in Big Timber that night. So we ate the food ourselves and did homework. Rich and I watched a show called “I Hate Christian Laettner,” which did actually make me like him much less. Rich and I have a fundamental disagreement about Duke University—I have warm fuzzies about Duke because I served as a missionary there on campus in 1994 and I think Coach K is an awesome person, though I am much more a Tarheels fan; Rich hates Duke and he hates Coach K. I was indifferent about Laettner, but my eyes have been opened…lol.

Friday Rich took us to Noodles & Co. for dinner in Bozeman, which was a fun surprise (he needed to get stuff at Home Depot). We also stopped at Costco, Staples, and World Market. While we wer out, I got a text from Jordyn Yarborough with a cute photo of here and her man at Temple Square with a ring on her finger! She and Jake Ontiveros plan to be married in August. We are so happy for her!

Saturday we planned to sand and paint our deck and put in our garden because it was supposed to not rain over the weekend. HA! It poured over night, but the morning was sunny. So Rich could not paint the deck or patch the roof around the chimney (there is a drip in the chimney). We did get our garden planted; the transplants seemed a little shocked, I hope they recover! Instead of the deck, Rich refinished our Adirondack chairs and they look great. Saturday afternoon it got rainy, so I napped with the little boys, the girls had the Jones girls and Izzi over, and we grilled burgers in the evening with the Roberts Family. We are so grateful to have them back in our ward family!

I’m embarrassed how sore and tired four hours of yard work made me. The aging plus the arthritis and chronic fatigue make me feel 90 sometimes. Somehow we made it to church Sunday morning and got to sit with Grandpa and Grandma this week! We had good talks about self-reliance and then I taught Niles’ Primary class. It was such a nice day, I told them we could have the second half of our lesson outside, but then one of them ran away and another one gave chase, so I sent Heidi after them. It was kind of funny, but we all made it to sharing time safely. I miss Primary, they are so cute. We napped today, then Rich had a priesthood meeting in Bozeman and left at 5pm. I helped Heidi with some research, then cracked the whip and had the kids clean up and get in their jammies, and we went on a Sunday drive. The river is high and beautiful, we saw ducks bobbing on the rapids at Mayor’s Landing and the kids called it “duck surfing.” When Daddy got home, everyone was in bed reading or asleep, which was a nice surprise for him. I had a good chat with my brother Sam, then sat down to write this letter. It has been a most peaceful Sabbath day.
Some of you are out of school already—HAPPY SUMMER! We still have school until June 10th. This is the first year that summer break hasn’t filled me with anxiety (“what will I feed them? How will I keep them busy?”). It’s going to be AWESOME (yes, you should come visit us and join in the fun…2 bedrooms and four couches and beautiful Montana/ Yellowstone all around!).  We wish you all a happy week!

Love, Rich and Jamie and Family
Ammon swinging on Memorial Day at the Ranch
Niles and Addie fishing at the ranch on Memorial Day

Jeanette, Clara, Addie, and Eden at Pine Creek, Memorial Day
(photo: Robyn Jones)

River Drive in Livingston, Memorial Day
(photo: D. Perryman)


Tuesday Baseball in Gardiner near the arch
Walkin' Man walks on (5/26)

Friday news! Jordy & Jake!

Our garden and the cool birdhouse James built in Cub Scouts.

One of many flower boxes we potted last week
 

No comments:

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...