Sunday, October 08, 2017

FAMILY LETTER 10.08.17


 Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                     

Happy Birthday to our nephew Tyler Oslin today! He’s gettin’ OLD. He’s probably still sweatin’ in Phoenix, but we are all snuggled up by the fire watching “Big Jake” with the family after a busy week/ weekend.

Last Monday we came down off our conference high pretty fast by waking to the news of the mass shooting in Las Vegas. It was sad to know that as the sun rose, they were still clearing the scene and counting victims. Terrible. The day got a little worse when Tom Petty died. Bummer day. On the bright side: We listened to uplifting stories of heroism and selflessness and service all week. Also, I took Ammon to the dentist to get his first little cavity filled and he did great. In fact he is super excited to go back and get the other side done in 2 weeks, lol. We got home just in time to meet the big kids after school and take James to soccer practice. We had a nice dinner with everyone home, and for family night we watched and discussed Sister Jones’ talk from conference and found ourselves in the crowd during the half-time song (we mostly could see Abby’s shirt and Isabelle’s bun). Tuesday is kind of a blur, but I do remember getting all the laundry done and taking Niles to soccer practice.

Wednesday, on the other hand, was so dang busy. We got everyone ready to go to Niles’ school for picture day so all their photos match. Right after that I went and got a haircut, then got Ammon some lunch at home and changed, then we picked up Addie at 12:45 to go to the dentist in Bozeman. We hurried home and got James to soccer practice and made dinner. The big kids went with Dad to YW and scouts, and the little boys and I colored some pictures and made a fall box for Great Grandma Lyn.

On Thursday morning Ammon and I went to the post office after we took Heidi to school. We mailed our packages and then came home to do projects, I gutted the laundry room while Ammon played mega blocks and watched Daniel Tiger and sometimes helped me. I kept working on the laundry and laundry room even after dinner, taking a break to call Sam and wish him a Happy 40th Birthday and to read with the little boys.Friday I had grand plans to continue organizing all the linens and laundry I had dug out of the laundry room, but Ammon was not having it. Instead he wanted to “make somefings.” So we made a felt banner of his name to hang in his room and also some gluten free orange-vanilla cupcakes with Halloween sprinkles. We shared them with neighbors and that was fun. When the big kids got home from school, we turned right around and went downtown to watch the homecoming parade. It was so fun to see all the schools, all the teams and organizations with their floats, and all the townspeople out cheering on the high school. We don’t have the best football team, but the town was really celebrating the team and the whole school in general. It was nice to see. After dinner Addie went to the game and had some friends over afterward, which was nice. I sure love all our youth and I am glad they like to be together.

Saturday began with 7:45 am soccer again (no more early games, and only 1 week left in the season). I can see marked improvement in the boys’ playing, especially James. He is so meek and uncompetitive, he runs a lot but doesn’t often go after the ball. We saw him really get in there a few times this game and even take a good slide after getting tripped up. Pretty impressive for Sweet Baby James. Grandma and Grandpa Melin joined us for both games, 8-10:40am, and we got to visit about their wonderful visit with Elder Hallstrom in the temple all week. Pretty great experience! After the games, we all went to Murdoch’s Ranch supply for a 25-cent burger barbecue, then I took Addie to work and Rich took the boys out to press cider with Grandpa and Grandma. Heidi came home with me to help continue the cleaning out of the downstairs. Yesterday it was the play room. We cleaned out 4 boxes of toys and books to give away (or throw away). It’s kind of crazy how sentimental I felt about all the board books. A few of our favorites have made it through all 5 kids and are being saved in my ‘Grandma Box.’ So many sweet memories with my baby girls! My sweet hubs did the grocery shopping for me because he needed to get some garage stuff at Costco. So he went shopping, we kept cleaning, and he brought home a bunch of tacos for dinner so I could stay focused on the basement. My very last task of the night was scrubbing squirty cheese off the playroom walls at 9pm--Ammon had rubbed cheese all over the walls this summer and Addie had tried to clean it, but there was still a layer of cheese on the wall! Memories, people!

We had a lovely Fast Sunday today. Testimonies were sweet and all the lessons went well. I got to sub in Naomi Johnson’s Sunday School class while she and Matt are in Hawaii. We learned about inviting others to become more like Christ, and I got to share Elder Palmer’s “Then Jesus Beholding Him Loved Him” talk from April. I never get tired of studying that talk (and hearing his awesome Aussie accent). The kids were GREAT. Delaina Bloxham taught an excellent lesson from GHB about virtue. I’m grateful for an edifying, restful Sabbath (great lessons AND a nap). It is just what we needed!

I just remembered that yesterday marked 25 years since I entered the MTC. It truly feels like a blink of an eye, though there are a few periods of that 25 years that felt like centuries. I am so grateful for the opportunity to serve, and moreso for all the blessings and growth I have experienced since. Full time missions are a privilege and a blessing and they can completely transform you if you let them. It is the very best start to adulthood that I can think imagine. I am grateful for those who made it possible for me to go and stay out, and for all the great people I met who still bless my life. And I am grateful that the work continues and I get to play my small part with my little family. Sweet is the work! And boy, does our world need it.

We love you all and wish you a wonderful week!

Love, Jamie, Rich, and Family

10/4- Fall crafts with Niles and Ammon

10/4 Punkins

10/4 Ammon with a pinecone he picked up for Gram Lyn

10/5 Clean Laundry room!


10/6- Homecoming- Go Rangers!
Addie and Jeanette

Jeanette, Addie, and Clara

10/6- HoCo Parade!

James and Niles

Carter Roberts and the JV team giving candy to Ammon

Addie and friends on the sophomore float

Ammon, James, and Niles counting up their parade booty

Post-Game soiree with the cool kids
Addie, Brianna, Clara, Jeanette, Mikayla, Mitch, Tyler, and Orrin
10/7 Felt Banner-maybe this will help him learn his letters ;)

10/7 Niles Soccer game

James' Soccer Game

10/7 Beautiful fall day

RANCH APPLE CIDER with Gram and Gramp!

Niles and Ammon and apples

Ammon gettin' juice

Helping Grandpa Melin


Helping Grandma 
10/7 clean playroom!


Heidi says, "TA-DAAAAA!"

Heidi's cute selfie
Niles ("Missionary in Training") and Ammon ready for church
10/8

October 7, 1992: 25 years ago I entered the MTC
This is me with my MTC comps Nancy Sloan and Kristin Macdonald



No comments:

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...