Monday, October 08, 2018

FAMILY LETTER 10.08.18


Dear Loved Ones, 

This week felt like a year, but in a good way—because so many good things happened. On Monday 10/1, I hunkered down and worked on our Mission Memories slideshow video for about 12 hours. I knew if I stopped or tried to get back to it later I would lose my mojo, so I got it done between school drop offs and picks ups and a free-for-all dinner. I was completely unprepared for the emotions that came to the surface as I applied the soundtrack to the images. I forgot there were a hundred+/- people I served with and loved with all my heart. I’m grateful for the chance to reminisce that way. Rich took care of soccer practices and bed time like a champ. Tuesday 10/2 I took Ammon to the dentist and had Lisa Orback over for crappy lunch. I cleaned the house a little and worked on laundry and packing for our quick Utah trip.

Wednesday 10/3 was pure insanity running errands and transporting children, packing and cleaning, getting snow tires on the van,  cleaning out/washing/refueling the van, celebrating cousin Matthew’s 12th birthday at the bowling alley, taking Kristina to get her hair cut and dyed lavender, and YM/YW that night. Thursday morning (10/4) we sent the kids to school and I did all the last minute prep for the trip (snacks!) and then drove around for an hour checking them out of school (all except Addie, who stayed home to run XC, watched over by the Joneses), and we were off for Utah at 1pm. We arrived at the Casper’s house in Draper around 9pm (after dinner at Chick-Fil-A as usual). It was so nice to be so warmly welcomed by Chasta and the girls! Rhett was at an endodontic conference in San Diego, but he came home Saturday and we had a fun but brief visit with him.

Friday 10/5, Rich woke up early and took Heidi and Kristina downtown to Temple Square on the Trax train. I stayed at Chasta’s with the boys until noon. Kristina got to take a tour with a German speaking sister from Berlin and asked for a German Book of Mormon at the end. They also went to the top of the JSB and met Elder Dallin Oaks at the elevators. Heidi called me to fangirl, and I thought that was so cute. I am glad she is excited about apostles and conference! We met up at noon at 90th south and went to lunch at Joe’s Crab Shack and stocked up on our favorite Korean foods at Ocean Mart Asian market. Then I ran some errands for the mission reunion, took all the kids to their cousin sleepovers (Heidi and Kristina at Caspers’, Niles and Ammon at Petersens’, and James at Posts’), and arrived at the church building in South Jordan at 5:20pm (only an hour late). The LeBarons and the Coons had already done most of the work, so  Rich and I just pitched in with finishing touches and made sure the slideshow would project and people started showing up. It was SO AWESOME. Every five minutes somebody walked in and there were happy shouts and hugs and laughter and memories shared. It was so much fun. I got a kick out of hearing the things that people remembered about me. I had completely forgotten that for one district meeting, I had made little cardstock Plan of Salvation visual aids for my district—and many of them STILL have them! How cool is that? Another thing that surprised me is how much everybody looked how I remembered them, but as if they had dressed up in middle-age costumes (I’m sure I look that way, too)—you know, youthful faces with maybe some little crows’ feet and graying hair, and thicker middles. But still glowing and funny and spirit-filled as ever. It was completely delightful and almost overwhelmingly wonderful to be together again. Two scriptures came to mind as I soaked in the spirit of the evening: D and C 130:2 and Alma 17:2-3- “…Alma did rejoice exceedingly to see his brethren; and what added more to his joy, they were still his brethren in the Lord; yea, and they had waxed strong in the knowledge of the truth…” My gratitude for the good people God put in my path early in my life deepens every year. And my testimony of the counsel to “make every encounter a kindly one” increases as well. It is so beautiful to be reunited with people and have nothing but good feelings and rejoicing together. That’s what this entire weekend felt like for me.

After tearing ourselves away from the fun reunion crowd, we headed back to Caspers' house in Draper and had a great long sleep with no kids sneaking into our beds (thank you, Jill!!!) and we were perfectly refreshed to watch conference on Saturday morning. All the Caspers except Brittany and her cousin Juliet had headed downtown to watch the session live, so the rest of us snuggled up in the basement and feasted on the word. The meeting began with The Big Announcement that the three-hour Sunday meeting block would be reduced to a two-hour meeting block to allow for more family study and instruction. The implications of this are just fantastic, I am so excited. I am grateful especially how this takes so much pressure off Primary presidencies on Sunday, freeing them up to be better shepherds—more inspired ministering, less refereeing meetings and juggling Sunday chaos. Not to mention better and more realistic expectations for little children and children with special needs on Sundays. I just feel like every single change is showing God’s confidence in us as individuals and families and refocusing on the purpose of the church---the church supports the family, instead of distracting from the family. HOORAY! The emphasis continues to be on refining our very natures to BECOME—not just act or study or think—like Jesus Christ; to qualify for the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost and the gift of charity (“something we ARE, not something we do”) that when He comes we may see Him as He is because we are LIKE HIM. And if you listen carefully, you hear that time is not far away. I think sacrament and true weekly sanctification has been emphasized because we legit don’t know if we are going to meet our maker from one Sunday to the next. This is so awesome; it makes me simultaneously giddy, excited, anxious and dizzy at the prospect. I have never felt more grateful for the careful, consistent guidance from a living prophet (and HE is a little giddy himself, if you haven’t noticed—I LOVE IT! It’s not silliness, it’s joy and he exudes it).

Anyway—back to the timeline. My old pal Lisa Reed came over and joined us for second session and the Women’s Session. Richard took James and Niles to a Salt Lake Real soccer game while the girls and I ate walking tacos and listened to women’s session. After the session, Lisa headed home and Tarah took all 8 girls and Ammon on a Maverick run. We all got smoothies and snacks and headed home. Chasta had picked up Rhett from the airport and we had a little late night reunion and headed to bed. Nobody even got up until 9:30, and we all congregated downstairs for Sunday morning session. It was lovely to be together and hard to leave for home at 1pm. Rhett got to practice his German with Kristina and we all took photos before we left. It’s always hard to leave friends who feel like family, especially my Casper nieces, but we managed. We grabbed some lunch and got on the highway just in time for afternoon session on the radio. We were blessed to have a strong signal all the way into Idaho—we lost the signal during the closing prayer, so that was a tender mercy The kids were pleasant on the drive and after getting some Panda Express dinner in Rexburg, we arrived home just before 10pm. It was nice to see Addie and talk about all the great things that happened this weekend. The happy glow was only tarnished by the news that we lost another middle school friend this weekend when he took his own life. He was friends with both Heidi and James, in the grade between them, and an enthusiastic and gifted actor in drama club with them. My mama heart just aches for them and for their friends. I am grateful for our Savior’s mercy and lovingkindness and willingness to succor and hold us up through this grief, and through the darkness the adversary employs to attack and overwhelm our babies. Our only solace is knowing they will experience relief and peace in our Savior.

My heart is just full with every emotion, mostly gratitude-- for the Plan of Happiness, for relationships that never fail to uplift, for hope in the face of abject despair, for tender mercies even in darkness and grief.  We love you and wish you another great week!

Love, Jamie and Rich and Family

PS: Happy Birthday to Matthew Melin, Uncle Sam Layton, Tyler Oslin, Lexi Mullins and Little James Layton

10/5/18 NCRM-25 Reunion

Kristin LeBaron managing the delicious dinner





Jason Cooper, Shane LeBaron, Brett Ivory, Kristin Macdonald LeBaron

Eric Wagner, Greg Smith, Rob Coon

Eric McCarney and Shawn Kelley

Jerry Sharp and Robb Menlove

Steve Mackay and Greg Smith
(these are the last two missionaries I saw on my mission; Steve flew home
 with me and Greg was the assistant who took us to the airport)

Two of my favorite District-mates: Jason Lance and Jason Gibson

Wood-n-Post March 1994

Wood-n-Post Oct 2018
(now Bybee and Melin)

Re-enacting our legendary super soaker war of the summer of 1993.
Post-Cooper-Wood in Rockingham (Jared Noack was the other culprit,
but we can't find him!)

Melins, Coopers, and Bybees

Recreating a classic Zone Conference picture from Fayetteville South Zone
Roderick, Wood, Post, Black (Skabelund)

My soulbro Randall Thacker
From Insta: This guy. He has taught me more about Christlike love and hope than any other friend I’ve ever had. Randall Thacker❤️ Here’s a little story about Elder Thacker for you. At my exit interview, President Hickman asked me about all of my mission leaders and what I thought of their leadership styles and strengths. When he pointed to Thacker, I said that he was literally the most Christlike person I’ve ever met. President Hickman took off his glasses and started to cry and said, “I thank the Lord every day that He sent that boy to my mission.” His love started a branch and continues to heal hearts all over the world. #ncrm-25 #soulbro

In Pinehurst NC: Me, Elder Jones, Sisters Hardwick and Manning, and Elder Thacker
when Jones and Thacker were serving as our District leaders
in the Sanford Spanish Branch
Me and my eternal companion being nerds

I think I can name them all:
McCarney, Smith, Borja, Kelley,Summerhays, Jolley, Bushman, Prime, _, Lance, Albayeros, Thacker, Mullins,
Rudd, Mackay, Menlove, Gibson, Wagner, Davis, _., LeBaron, Sharp, Ivory, Coon, Cooper, Evans
Sisters: Barrett, Ricks, Roderick, Wood, Balck, Post, LeBaron, Anderson, Greaves
(now: Barrett, Barrett, Roderick, Bybee, Skabelun, POst, LeBaron, Coon, Hayes)

10/5/18: 6 of my 10 companions showed up!
(missing: Sloan-Seely, Gleason-Davis, Lee, Talili, and Francom-Holm)

These two powerhouses make magic like always
Kristin, Niki, and me

Reunion Organizers: Coons, Me, LeBaron

10/6: Me and My Lisa

Challenges from Women's Session

10/6: My boys at the SLC Real Soccer Game

Niles and Dad

James

Niles and James

10/7: Conference Gang at Caspers

10/7: Eliza, Anna, Britty

Kylee, Brandon, Niles, and James

Juliet and Tarah


Brandon and Niles

James and Brandon

Eliza, Ammon, and Brandon

Niles, Ammon, Brandon, James

Eliza, Juliet, Me, Tarah, Anna, Kristina, Chasta;
Kylee, Heidi, Brittany

Rhett. James, Ammon, Brandon, Niles, and Richard

Rhett, Chasta, Me, and Rich

Ammon hugging Rhett

Niles hugging Chasta

What the valley looked like on 10/7/18 pc: Amanda Brown
I didn't take photos on our drive home, but it was just gorgeous.
I love fall!





1 comment:

Taralyn said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE YOU♥️🌺♥️🌺♥️

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...