Monday, March 18, 2019

FAMILY LETTER 03.17.19


Dear Loved Ones,        

Top o’ the morning to ya! We are doing home church all day today because Niles and Ammon have ridiculous coughs. These boys bark all night long and I wake up in a panic cuz it sounds like they can’t breathe, so I lose sleep, but they wake up at 7 or 8am like nothing happened and run me ragged. Every. Time. Today we are taking it easy while Daddy and the bigs are at church. We just read some stories and started cooking the corned beef and cabbage for a big family dinner tonight for St. Paddy’s day.
I’m reflecting on the past two weeks realizing not much has changed. There’s still 3 feet of snow outside, even though the storm is long gone and the sun has been out. The borders of the snow hills are melting from underneath and the streets are full rivulets running down toward the river. I pray the melt continues slowly even though the ice and snow are so annoying. When it melts too fast the flooding is ridiculous. As it is, I think the Missouri and Mississippi are going to flood with all the snow pack out here.
I guess the major developments are that the girls auditioned for “Beauty and the Beast” on March 5th. Only a few freshmen were cast, and Heidi was passed over, which broke my heart a little because we all know she’s the best 9th grade singer 😉 but Kristina and Addie were cast in the chorus of townspeople, and our Clara Bella got the lead as Belle. So they will be busy with that through mid-May.
In the middle of the week (3/8) I got a text from my half sister Rhonda telling me her mother (my stepmother at one point) had died and they were in Idaho going through her belongings. Turns out she had died 4 weeks earlier and had only been found on March 4th. She had struggled with mental illness for a long time and her children were pretty much estranged from her, but I still felt heartsick for her and for them—no matter how crazy things have been, no one should die alone. So sad. We weren’t able to go down for her services, but I would have, to support my siblings because I love them so much and they really got the short end of the stick as far as family goes—we definitely love and need each other!
I spent a good chunk of time between 3/4 and 3/10 helping Addie collect video footage and editing it for the Educator Awards night on 3/13. She and Clara and TJay served on a Stake committee, advised my me and the public affairs committee, that presented awards to two teachers who best support and exemplify standards found in “For the Strength of Youth.” Clara and Addie MC’ed the evening and did a really great job. Their teachers felt very honored and there were quite a few people enjoying time together who otherwise wouldn’t set foot inside our church building. Mission accomplished. It will be even “awesomer” next year now that we know what we are doing. And I will remember to take pictures On 3/14 James played in the worlds shortest band concert (12 minutes) and we took him and cousin Matthew out for ice cream. I also got to go on a date with him to a sing-along matinee of “Mama Mia” where we enjoyed the music in spite of the terrible plot. He’s in the thick of being an Annoying Deacon, but I have faith that he will come through it and turn back into my sweet boy. And have acceptable personal hygiene without being dragged to the shower, lol.
This is such a weird time of year. The girls have been struggling with illness and school (mid-terms), and I think we all have a touch of the S.A.D. from this eternal winter. I’ve had some one-on-one time with them this week, just working on their future plans, mental and emotional health, spiritual growth checks—you know, mom maintenance. My girls are so different from each other but amazing and so full of kindness and selflessness under the crusty outer layers. I’m sad for the extra hurt they experience because they are so sensitive, but I am also glad that these experiences will make them less likely to ever be the sort of teenage girl who hurts the people around her when she is so self-absorbed. They have their moments, but I know it could be SO.MUCH.WORSE. They’ve got big plans… “I want a girl who gets up early/I want a girl who stays up late/ I want a girl with uninterrupted prosperity/who uses a machete to cut through red tape/with fingernails that shine like justice…” I started singing “Short Skirt/Long Jacket” by Cake to them, but they didn’t get it. Parenting fail (this was fixed immediately, btw; they will know it by heart soon).
I wish I had more inspiring things to say (it’s Monday morning now), but I had a very weird night’s sleep, full of strange dreams and leg cramps and concerns—not worry, just, you know, the 5-ton weight of parenting—so I haven’t much to share, except that families are where it’s at. Gospel living brings unspeakable joy and peace even in the face of life’s biggest curve balls. The best thing we can give each other is a soft place to fall and help back up on our feet, because fall we will, for certain, and we recover best when we can bounce of the unconditional love of family and friends-that-feel -like-family, and rely on ther mercy and merits of Him who is mighty to save and is The Source and unconditional love.
We love and miss you all. Wishing you all a wonderful week, full of SPRING SUNSHINE!

Love, Jamie and Rich and Family



Back in the snowpocalypse (first week of March)

The sun came out...

...but the snow isn't going anywhere! (Ammon 3/12)

Addie, Jeanette, and Clara at auditions 3/5


The first of a few not-good photos I took of the Awards night.
This is one of the awards that was presented
Setting up Tuesday night 3/12
with Ranger Purple and Gold

More from Tuesday set-u-...so grateful for help from Robyn Tyner, Kelli,
Rich, Matt Johnson, Greg Fawcett and my kids (not pictured)


Members of the PHS Chamber Singers came and sang "Angels Among Us"
It was very sweet; I should have mic'ed them tho.
Heidi my minstrel on a Sunday afternoon
Silly Ammon in the tub

Hanging out on a Sunday night: Niles, Addie's new fella Kenyon, and Addie

Forgot to mention in the letter: Dad Melin was hospitalized and put back on his CLL medications after a terrible bout of pneumonia. Of course he was fully dressed and refusing to sit down when we stopped by to visit 3/9. He went home on 3/11.


St. Paddy's dinner with cousins-- Addie and Lexi

Simon, Ammon, and Niles

TJay and Jess
Matthew and James

The luckiest little leprechaun!
Grandma brought green jello!
Also failed to mention in the letter that my dishwasher died and I got a new one.
I'm still making friends with it.

C'est moi!


I tell my kids this on the daily



No comments:

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...