Wednesday, May 21, 2003

I thought I might have more to say about me and my own thoughts today, but I don't. Or I can't. Most of my thoughts lately are of the relationship nature--thoughts about people I know--and I don't generally write about those unless all issues are resolved and the hindsight is all 20/20 and stuff. So I am learning how things work in my new little town, reminding myself that I am 1200 miles from my people and my culture--even though I am still in the same country, I am a foreigner in many ways, struggling to assimilate for the long haul.

Adeline said, "Water please" today while handing me a cracked plastic party cup she found who-knows-where. This marks her first correct use of the word "please." She has been saying it when I tell her to, but this time she did it on her own. More often than not, she says "thank you " when she means please. Like tonight when I was frosting a chocolate cake (a farewell cake for one of the missionaries who lives nextdoor--Elder Westwood is being transfered to Great Falls), she hung on my leg hollering, "Thank you, mamma, thank you." What she really meant was "Mom, Please give me some of that frosting right now!" Language acquisition will always fascinate me, but it's SUPER fascinating when it's your own kid learning the lingo. She's great. Next time you talk to her, ask her what a horsey says. You won't be disappointed!

So perhaps more tomorrow. Something less mom-ish and more Agent-J-ish.

No comments:

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...