Tuesday, May 20, 2003

May 19th seems like a good day to start keeping a New Years' resolution, don't you think? I promised myself I would write a journal entry and/or a detailed family letter at least once a week and I have only done about a quarter of that. Hopefully having remote access to something like blogger will motivate me to keep on it.

My old online journal was full of romance and adventure (well, kind of)--I was single when I started it, met my husband, got married, and was expecting a baby when I ended it. The end actually coincided with the whole 9/11 thing, but really I just stopped because I went on maternity leave, then quit my job and stayed far from the computer for a year or so. Becoming a mom rocked my world--I am just now getting my vocabulary back and I can almost type with two hands forming complete sentences! Of course, I have to do this after 11pm, when my two loves are tucked happily in bed. It's funny how I have so much I would like to write about now--so much happiness, so much growth, so much adventure--and I have so little time. Usually I have to choose between getting 7 hours of sleep and never writing, or getting six and writing something loopy just before bed. I guess I will do my best to write something. Maybe it will stop being so loopy.

Today there were no newsworthy developments on the homefront. Addie said the same words she usually says, although she did a lot more tantruming than usual--poor frustrated girl! She will be exactly a year-and-a-half old on Wednesday. The more we do this whole mother-daughter thing, the more I realize she mirrors me. Or at least her actions are really a reaction to what I am doing and feeling. Today I was grouchy and distracted by our mountain of laundry, so I shouldn't have been surprised by her little outbursts and mischievousness. But I got so frustrated, at one point I was in tears. But even then, I knew it was me--not her--that needed a time out. She finally took a long nap and I got caught up and all was well. We had a very nice family night together, and then her friends Abby and Lynzee came and played in her room for an hour or two. She stayed up late, crashing peacefully in my arms around 9:30.

A sleeping toddler is a beautiful thing. Her rosy little cheeks and golden fresh-bathed afro laid out on my lap erased the day. I love that girl.

During our family night Grandma Lyn called to tell me that cousin Kev's wife Kate gave birth to their very first little baby--a girl named Riley Elizabeth, 6lb 4oz and 19 inches long. Cousin Kev got to leave his Army Reserve thing in Texas and be home for her birth, which I think was awful nice of the army (aside: cousin Kev is part of my family of cousins that may as well be my siblings--we are all very close on that side fo the family, so this is like a new niece for me). So congratulations Kev, Kate, and Riley (and proud grandparents and uncles and auntie maren)!!

It snowed a ton yesterday and maybe an inch this morning, but by 11am the sun came out and Adeline played outside as it all melted away. Wow. It's all in the soil now, making this place emerald green and gorgeous. Spring never stops amazing this Arizona girl.

I think I will have more to say about me and what I have been doing tomorrow. I am getting ready for an epic journey to visit my mother in Missouri from May 29-June 15. That's a long time--I'm preparing much in advance. So more on that tomorrow. G'nite.

No comments:


Dear Loved Ones, It has been a dreamy week of beautiful Montana spring, warm days mixed with rainy days and thunderstorms, which does ...