Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Winkin', Blinkin', and Not On Your Life

It's no secret to anybody who knows us that Addie is a terrible sleeper--naps and bedtime have been a huge battle since day one (well, maybe day five...). There have been a few weeks at a time when she "gets it"--no matter how much she cries, she's going to bed, even if we have to lock her in her room. But then there is always an illness or a trip to a foreign bed or something that sets us back and we have to spend another few weeks getting back to bedtime. UGH!

Now we have had the set back of pretty severe cough/congestion for the past few weeks, coupled with becoming potty trained. We put a pull-up on her for bed, but she gets up and potties on her own. Which is a good thing, I know, except she has the hardest time getting back to sleep. She is driving us CRAZY, and last night I pertnear rang her gotta-pee-at-4-am-neck. So tonight we didn't give her any drinks after dinner (and boy is she mad about that one) plus we had a long talk between books and prayers about staying in bed and not waking everybody up when we go potty.

We had a nice lovey talk, and I gave her a kiss and said, "You be a good big girl and stay in your own bed and tomorrow we'll put your castle bed back up."

She smiled sweetly and said, "I'll be good, mom. I not scream and I wake up when the sun comes up....okay? I be good and cry in my pillow." Awww. That broke my heart. I told her she didn't have to cry at all, she just had to remember that everybody sleeps in their own bed and if we have to get up at night, we have to be very quiet and not wake everybody up. She agreed and pulled up her covers and asked me not to close her door all the way.

She's a crack up. I hope we have learned our lesson and that Heidi will be excited to sleep in her own bed, and will sleep through the night. Heidi is already a good, long sleeper (although her naps are shortening, dang it!) so it should go smoother. It's just amazing how much a kid with bad sleeping habits can throw the whole family life of kilter. I am just not a sane person without regular sleep, you know? (see last Friday's entry if you have any questions about that!)

Anyhoooo...life is good and much the same as it ever was. Just figuring it all out as we go along.

No comments:

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...