Monday, January 03, 2005

Self-Censoring

In my quest to be a good mom I have had several tragic failings. The worst are inconsistent discipline, losing my temper, and saying bad words like damn, hell, and jerk.

And of course, in true kid fashion, Addie has picked up those words, even if she's only heard them once or twice. The other day she was in a sassy mood and we were contemplating taking her to the thrift store and leaving her there with her old clothes and toys. She was jumping on my bed and I told her to stop and turned off the light. In her most evil shreiking angry voice, she said, "Mom, you don't turn of that light while I am jumping! MOM! You are a dammit!"

I am a dammit. But wait, there's more.

The next morning, I fixed her breakfast and she said, "Thanks mom! You are a good girl. You are not a dammit."

Phew! I was so worried about going through life as a dammit.

Yes, I am trying to watch my language. I can't have her cussing out her Primary teacher, can I?

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Yeah, Jess--"Stupid" and "Idiot" are on my list, as well as "Hate." We're working on it. Addie even censors our TONE--if we are talking heatedly, even if it's venting about work or politics or something, she freaks. "Be nice, mom!" "Don't be mad to my mom, dad!" There are so many ways kids help you be more godly, and this is definitely one of them.

A.G. Joyner said...

Hey, it'd make for good stories later on though!

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...