Friday, February 25, 2005

Indeed Quite Perfect

I was sad to read today the Hugh Nibley has died , just before his 95th birthday. I suppose you can say that it's about time, but I will miss the idea of having him around. I suppose it is merciful for God to take him now, before his daughter's book is released next month. I used one of his quotes on my wedding annoucement, as you may recall. It's still one of my favorite ideas:

"We recognize what is lovely because we have seen it somewhere else, and...when we see an object or person that pleases us, it is like recognizing an old friend; it hits us in the solar plexus and we need no lecturing to tell us that it is indeed quite perfect. It is something we have long been looking for, memories of how things should be."

I have read only two of his books (Approaching Zion and Temple and Cosmos-- about a million pages!) and heard him lecture only twice at BYU (once at a peace day rally during the gulf war and another time at a Book of Mormon Conference in the Library with my friend Kevin). But his thoughts and insights into the bigness--the eternal nature of truth, its consistency in all dispensations--helped me to reconcile my testimony with everything I have seen and learned as an adult. I am grateful for his life and work.

1 comment:

Laura said...

That is really sad news, and I agree with you when you said that you thought Heavenly father took him before his (my words) STUPID SELF CENTERD DAUGHTERS book was released to spare him.I still have a hard time talking about her with our old bishop (The one that married Darrin and ME) when he comes over to talk with Darrin about questions Darrin has about the church and the temple. I can't believe that she is doing this. I say my prayers and ask for reasurance in the things that I believe in. I haven't been to the temple yet and I am scared to death about what I will feel after we do go. I know things will be fine...That I do have faith in. I love you Jamie. Be happy.

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...