Saturday, July 16, 2005

ON THIS MONTH IN HISTORY: July 1991

Here is a journal excerpt from my July 4th weekend in 1991:

"I worked 9 am -1pm. Then Mary and I went to the art show at the city center. After that (total heat stroke), we went swimming form about 2-5pm. Then she dropped me off at home and I bathed adn napped and felt truly icky. Mary came back at 8pm and we got Pizza and went to watch the fire works at Stadium of Fire. We found this awesome viewing spot. It was on this median shaped like a triangle on campus with pansies growing in the flower box. The sides of the box were cement and shaped like [a quarterpipe] so we sat on the slope like a recliner and faced the stadium. The fireworks were very cool, but ONE of them could have paid for my entire college education. I felt really ill by the end of fireworks, so I came home and went to sleep to the sound of many a bottle rocket.

"July 5th (Friday) Worked 11-3pm, then did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Lisa Robbins came over at about 8pm. We hung out and wrote and listened to music. At midnight, Phil Baier came over and Darrin from San Diego came, too. They are so funny. Lisa stayed over on our couch since we didn't go to sleep until about 3am. Lisa had to leave by 9am because she rode her bike and it was gonna be a scorcher. I got up around 11 and ate breakfast, then wrote some letters. The cable guy came so now I am writing to the sights-and-sounds of MTV. Groovy. I work 5-11pm tonight, so I'd better bail. Oh, I registered. My classes for Fall 1991: English 291, American Lit, Biology 210, College Algebra, American Civilization, Book of Mormon, Psychology of Gender [290]"

Just so you know, later I recorded my grades and I got (in the same order as above): A, A, B, C, B, A, A. And if you are wondering where my college companion, Kevin, was in these entries, he was on a family vacation for a couple of weeks. I think I was missing him, seein's how these entries were so boring. Honestly, I can't believe how much down time I had when I was out of school--I can't imagine living at that pace now. I think I can count the times I have slept past 8am since my mission on one hand! Funny how we progress!

Well--shout out to Lisa R. and Mary B. (now C.), mentioned in the above paragraphs. Mary has FOUR little boys and LISA is a stylin' single globetrotter (at least until last year) and possible the best writer and gift-giver I know-- we are all still friends.

And PS, Lisa R.--the day I got my contacts, we had a barbecue and I made habanero chili marinaded chicken. A few hours later, I went to the eye doctor and they tried to teach me how to put in my contacts. I thought I was doing something terrible wrong and that I couldn't wear contacts, until I remembered that earlier I had been in contact with, like, the world's most deadly chili! There's a reason we are friends and practically twins, girl! Dorks with red eyes!

No comments:

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...