Thursday, December 22, 2005

What Child IS This?


The girls have their own nativity scene downstairs; it's the Fisher-Price Little People one and they LOVE it, especially Heidi, who wraps the figures in klennex or scarves each day and gives them a nap on the subwoofer next to the entertainment center where they normally reside.

Each night after they go to bed, I clean up downstairs and almost every night I find a new and funny arrangement in the stable. I wish I had been taking notes all month because they crack me up, but here are a few:

(Keep in mind, we have these same type of Little People in other play sets, like a farm, a boat, and a school bus, as well as other small toys that fit in the stable).

--Tonight, Joseph is missing, but the bus driver is standing in his stead.
--Yesterday, Tumnus of Narnia joined the gang in the stable.
--Last week, the donkey, camel, and one wiseman were missing, but there was a Polly Pocket 4-wheeler parked at the manger; way better than that smelly old donkey, I am guessing. Handy for fleeing to Egypt, too.
--A few of the grown up figures were gone, but Baby Jesus, the angel, and the animals were hanging out with Polly Pocket around her plastic campfire the other night.
--One night, Baby Jesus went missing, but Joseph and Mary looked down adoringly on a tiny wnd-up monkey (it does flips!) from a kids meal.
--The goat, the chicken, and the farmer frequently join in the worship, which is as it should be.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have a "kids" nativity that we have had since the kids were little. Even though they are older, I still put it out each year. Then if my little neices or nephews or my friends' kids come over, there is a nativity they can play with. Funny thing though - my nativity is constantly being re-arranged, with other "things" from around the house being added sometimes. However, I don't think it's happening in quite the innocent, sweet way that yours is!!! What can I say?? Enjoy them while they are little, because they are just naughty when they get older! ha ha

cmhl said...

I LOVE this post!!!

we have visitors in our manger scene as well, currently stretch armstrong is looming over Joseph, and occasionally there is a polly in place of baby Jesus.

I think that Jesus wouldn't mind, in fact, He would probably like the kids innocently playing. it is sweet.

Oh, and we did have a power ranger in there for a while. And a ninja turtle.

Carla said...

I need to get that Fisher Price set!!! Our Nativity is ceramic and very breakable (given it's on our brick fireplace) so the kids are not allowed to touch -just look!

It makes me wonder what Sarah and Emma would do to it if they could??? Cinderella would surely be amongst the visitors. ;)

Geo said...

Ha! I wish you HAD been taking notes. This is hilarious!

We have a strange visitor too, a goony metal bird the Norrises brought us from Wales once upon a visit. It's bigger than the cows and the camels even in our Fontanini set. This year nobody has tkold the bird to hit the road, but I can remember a couple years ago one of my nieces getting freaked out about the dangerous-looking bird and letting me know he wasn't allowed to be there at the manger. We talked it over, but I don't think she ever felt easy about letting the big bird stick around. Good thing Jesus himself doesn't get nervous about odd characters; otherwise, I know I'd be singing the blues with the other goony birds.

Geo said...

P.S. I'd like to have a set like yours. Where'd it come from?

Laura said...

That is too cute. I miss you guys!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS!

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...