Thursday, March 09, 2006

Grumpy

My girls are giggling and the sun is blazing outside, sending the snow that fell early this morning down into the soil to feed the little bulbs that are sprouting all around the yard (I am so excited for daffodils and tulips and aliums--we didn't have many in AZ!). In all of this delightfulness, I am feeling a little grumpy.

It's probably because of disappointment. See, I always thought my family of origin would be the kind of family that was like the postal service-- "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays" this family from supporting each other in vital moments or celebrating the special days together. Then, of course, we all ended up in our husbands' hometowns--eight sisters in seven states, some too far flung for much visiting. There's a core group of us close enough to be there for each other if we can make the effort and sacrifice. But it still doesn't happen as much as it should. Sometimes, it's just not a priority or it's not worth it.

I am so glad I married someone with the same philosophy as mine-- for either side of the family, we often forego our comfort, plans, security, etc., to show our support for our sibs and to foster the relationship between the cousins. I really appreciate that about my husband and my in-laws. I am still trying to swallow the bitter pill that my family of origin isn't that great at it anymore. *sigh* Maybe it's a phase...maybe when the kids grow up...

I think I will take my rowdy girls outside to play since it's sunny and warm (well, a little above freezing, I think). They always cheer me up.

7 comments:

cmhl said...

I'm sorry... I know how that can be...

Laura said...

Now you kind of know how I feel. It's a very crappy feeling and being so far away is very hard. I have missed out on so much, Hopefully I wont have to miss out on much more. See you at the end of July!!!! I love you.

Jenn said...

I know exactly how you feel. Hang in there!

Aim said...

Actually it's exactly the "postal code" that scares me! I think I would be more apt to travel and see family if 75% of the year Montana roads weren't covered with wind, rain, snow and hail! Haha. I guess thats just one of the many perks of living North. Hurray that summer is almost here!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Happy Gilmores said...

For the last 6 years we have been far from family. Although we have loved the new friends, it's hard not to see family as much as we did when we were all together in CA. Phone isn't the same. Southern CA is too expensive, and so we are still apart. It is even tougher when their is an emergency. Page has been in CA for almost 2 weeks now to help her Mom. I know she is going to hate leaving her, but also misses us a lot. It can be tough.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...