Sunday, April 02, 2006

Eventide

Well, it has certainly been a nice weekend. I always enjoy General Conference weekend, especially now that we have (a) our own comfortable home with (b) three TVs tuned into BYUTV--church in our jammies, four hours Saturday and four hours Sunday. Actually, Saturday we had lots of little chores to do and Rich went out to the ranch before each session to take care of business (we are getting ready to build our fence and we re-seeded our boulevards where our neighbor kids have been riding their bikes over our poor new grass). But it was truly a joyful experience to be folding and ironing clothes and making lunch for the extended family to the sounds of inspiring talks and the MoTab choir's serenade. It really made me think about making my "regular days" and chores a more joyful experience. The girls were even well-behaved and happy to have their grandparents over to visit (we really should have them in our home more often!!!) During Saturday's afternoon session of conference, Heidi napped while Addie sat on our couch between Grandpa Tom & Grandma Rosalie. She colored in her new Easter coloring book (thanks, NanaLyn) for almost a solid hour, then played quietly after that (four is turning out to be so much easier than two and three-years-old).

Last night I got a babysitter while Rich went to General Priesthood meeting and went out with my mom-in-law and some other women whose husbands were at the meeting. We went out for Mexican food (I had yummy tortilla soup) and then played Hoopla afterward. It was a lot of fun and a welcome break. I didn't feel very good all weekend, but good enough to eat food and take Tylenol for my aches and pains, so I feel grateful for that.

Today, my in-laws came for lunch again and brought Vivian Ellison (our adopted great-grandma who lives out at the ranch--we bought it from her). They brought two delicious pies for dessert (Swedish Apple and lemon) and Rich & I made a post roast with carrots and mashed potatoes, gravy, and some fresh bread. We had a really nice time together and played "Don't Eat Pete" with Addie afterward. Also between sessions, one of my former YW, Kim, who is in college now came over to visit and brought her roommate. They are on spring break from BYU-Idaho and it was so fun to Kim & meet her friend. Kim worked a lot on our house when the kids came over to do service here, so it was fun to show her the basement all finished out. She remembered scraping and sweeping the concrete floor about a million times, and now it's all SUPAH-DELUXE! I told her she could house sit while we are in Missouri in June.

There were a lot of things about conference that I wanted to remember and note here, but I'll wait until I can post actual quotes. I love Elder Hales' & Elder Holland's talks about making your way back and building your relationship with the Lord...I always love those messages because we are always on the mend in one way or another. I also loved the talks reflecting on missionary service, and how it was repeated--every good thing in my life today can be traced in one way or another to my choice to serve a mission. I got caught up in thinking about that and shed a few tears remembering my mission experience and all that it taught me. It put me on a whole new path, and even when I tried to stray, the lessons I learned there in the mission field kept me moving in the right direction and led me to the totally peaceful and blessed life I live today. The plans I had for myself pale in comparison to what God has given me since then. I have certainly learned that "he can make more of a [wo]man than any [wo]man without him ever can."

Anyway, I'm gettin' pretty rambly and I need to go love on my family some before bed time (bed time already??? Happy Daylight Saving Time!!). Have a great week, all y'all!

8 comments:

Jenn said...

I love conference Sunday's too. The not having to get up and ready part is the best.
I didn't get to watch all of conference but what I did was great...as always.
Glad you were feeling up to going out to dinner...what a nice surprise.
Have a nice day...hope to see you tomorrow night at "scrapbook night".

Happy Gilmores said...

My in-laws got an email that claims Elder Ballard told a group of members to make sure they watched this April Conference because it would be President Hinkey's last. So my mother-in-law has been in tears all weekend. Doubt an apostle would say that, and surely it is a hoax email. But at age 95 (almost 96) you never know.

Jill Petersen said...

It was a splended weekend for us too! I was sad thinking that this is our last conference breakfast in this house but its all in perspective right? We have so many blessings and so much to be thankful for. I really enjoyed listening to how we can better ourselves and I always look forward to conference!!!

ps. Don't eat pete rocks!!!

Brooks Brown said...

I wanted to let you know that I finally responded to your tag. I have been way behind on the blogging these days -- too much going on elsewhere it seems.

We had a total freak of nature occurance in the heart-o-dixie last night -- a flash hail storm with what I call large gumball-sized hail (you know the kind that was 25 cents in the machines when we were kids.) I have pictures I will post in the next day. Unsurprisingly, it melted the minute it hit the ground.

cmhl said...

brooks-- we got the hail here too!!

sounds like you had a great weekend, J!!

Jamie said...

Brroks and cmhl--WOW! I read about all the weather in the midwest and south on my internet news...I have you dear e-friends and some other firneds in Arkansas and of course my mom west of St. Louis, so I am always watching the weather out there! Crazy Hail!! I feel kinda jealous because I almost never see hail out here. I remember some crazy hail when i lived in OK as a girl (and all the scary tornadoes). I am glad you two are okay--I hope this isn't a sign of a horrible tornado and hurricane season to come. Nature is getting a little wacky lately...things that make you go "hmmmm."

Geo said...

I loved the weekend too. So much help and comfort. I really dug Sister Beck's talk about spiritual gifts. I just felt and fell so grateful for all those peole--can't help but know they are my friends.

Geo said...

I hate it when I don't remember to spell-check!

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...