Friday, May 05, 2006

Cinco de Mayo

We had tortilla soup for dinner tonight, but that was the extent of our celebration. I tried a new (made-up) recipe tonight and it was really good. Here's how it goes (these are all guesstimates--adjust to your taste):

3 cans chicken broth
1 can diced tomatoes
1 cup mild picante sauce
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
a little bit more picante sauce
about 10 corn tortillas cut into 1/2 inch strips
oil for frying tortilla strips
chopped fresh tomatoes, avocados, cilantro, lime wedges

Make a foil pocket and put the chicken breasts in there and cover with some picante sauce. Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes. Meanwhile, pour all the broth, diced tomates, and picante sauce in a large saucepan.
Take out the chicken and chop it up and pour all the juices into the saucepan. Throw the foil away (one less dish to wash).
Stir and let it boil while you fry up the tortilla stips and drain them on paper towels (you should let them start to brown a little so they are good and crunchy).
Ladel soup into a big bowl and top with the tortilla strips, then the fresh chopped stuff, and even a dab of sour cream if you like. Then eat up--it's delicious!!

8 comments:

Jenn said...

Sounds yummy! Although the doctor ordered chicken soup for me. Not feeling well, having really bad allergies past couple of days!
Hope I feel better by tomorrow...going to an all day crop for National Scrapbook Day!

Happy Gilmores said...

I had a bowl of cereal. Page is in bed sick, I don't want to push my luck just getting over being sick. So even though we are in Texas and had access to a lot of cinco de mayo stuff, I was inside all day. Looks like you had a better time of it.

Brooks Brown said...

That soup looks so good. My recipe is very similar to yours except I put corn in mine.

I will try the tortilla strips the way you make 'em next time.

Anonymous said...

We went to a fondue party and played games with friends until really late!!! It was so fun!! Your soup looks yummy - I'll have to try that recipe!!!!

cmhl said...

love your tablecloth!!

would hte girls eat it?? my kids are funny aobut anything potentially spicy..

Jamie said...

Oh, yeah--my girls got a little border blood 'em. When Addie was a baby, I told the pediatrician that she started eating black beans before she was supposed to, but they seemed to go down okay. The dr. said the Mexican kids at that age tend to be healthier than the American kids because they are eating whole foods like beans, rice, and fresh friuts and vegetables. So we called Ad our little Mexican because she loved spicy adn limey foods. Heidi is a little more sensitive (she learnd to say "PICY" almost a year ago) but she eats a remarkabke amount of salsa, etc. It's probably just a matter of exposure.

Happy Gilmores said...

Page hates spicy food and always has so her mexican food has to be mild, and she hates Cajun food too. So my kids have a tendency to not like spicy food either. But I have always loved good spicy food too. Our family had a lot of Mexican friends growing up in Southern California and my Mom makes good Mexican food too, so I learned to love it. Black pepper can be "too spicy" for Page.

Aim said...

Thanks Jaim! That makes me feel better. You guys are so sweet. I think between Laura and I though, we got it covered. She is so easy going about the house that it makes things so much easier! You and all the in-laws have been such a big help to me.

ps- I hate that term "in-laws," it's just screaming "I am related to you but we aren't close." THATS NOT TRUE! I'm making a new name for it! From now on, I shall call it "law-sisters." No that sounds like we are in law school together...how bout "in-sisters?" Na, sounds like a junior high group. I got it! "choice sisters!" becuase it's not by law that we are related...it's by choice!

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...