Friday, June 09, 2006

Melting in Missouri

Hello, blogworld! I can't believe its been so long since I posted! Of course, I have a good excuse, since I was in the car for TWENTY- THREE HOURS this week. I drove Cody, Tyler, Addie, & Heidi all the way from Livingston Montana to Wentzville, Missouri all by myself! It was pretty uneventful, except for the parts where I freaked out because we had three potty breaks in one hour and my girls wouldn't take a nap (right around Salinas, Kansas, and then after a rough rush hour traffic jam in Kansas City).

We left at 7am on Monday morning and drove to Denver, CO to stay with Rich's cousin, Cindy. Cindy and her whole family were there and they made us a delicious Italian dinner whiel I took the kids swimming. We ate and cleaned up and got to bed early (9pm), then I was up at 5am and we left at 6am Tuesday for our long drive to Missouri. We got breakfast in Limon, CO, had a long play/potty break at the Kansas welcome center near Goodland, KS, ate lunch and got gas in Hays, KS, ate dinner during the traffic jam in KC, and arrived at my mom's house at 9:20pm her time (8:20pm our time). So that was a delightful 14-hour drive which I will not be repeating alone! The kids were all pretty good and we had fun together, although I don't think anyone is anxious to repeat the trip. I am glad my nephews came along for company and for all the help they gave me keeping the girls entertained.

I got a wicked sunburn Wednesday- my first day here (tip: don't put your sunscreen on while already wet and floating on a raft in the pool; it really doesn't work that great). The kids are loving Nana's pool, and I will enjoy it again (fully sun-blocked) when the flaming red burn heals a little bit. The first day we were here, my sister Sara was here with her two boys, but they had to leave after lunch. We had a fun few hours together--her kids are so cute and sweet. Mostly that day we just swam and ate Mexican food--THAT'S THE LIFE!

Thursday we went to Faust Park in Chesterfield on a recommendation from my chiropractor's wife (they went to school here). We went to the Butterfly House and saw thousands of butterflies, a movie about butterflies, lots of other insect displays, botanical gardens, rode the carousel, and played on the great playground. When we were all hot and sweaty, we loaded up the kids, got some lunch, and came home for quiet time. Mom and I had Cody & Tyler babysit while we went shopping for Father's Day surprises and we bought a great maternity outfit, which I am wearing today and already love. Last night we were all psyched to watch "Life is Beautiful" (after bathing all the girls, painting their nails, and putting them to bed) but my DVD wouldn't play in their player! Shucks!

Today we continue our quest for perfect Father's Day gifts and we might swim if it stops raining. The girls (Abby & Addie) have a slumber party planned, during which they are going to watch Princess Stories 1&2 and eat Princess Gummies and sleep on the basement floor. Fast times at Nana's house, people.

My dear Auntie M was transferred to a rehab hospital on Wednesday. She is awake but uncomfotable with minor complications like and infected pin and esophageal irritation from being intubated. Poor Auntie!!! I love and miss her so much--I am grateful that she's bettter, but pray she'll heal even faster!

I've got a million pix to post, even from last weekend in Livingston when we camped at the ranch and went to a fun graduation party. I'll get on that ASAP! Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

Happy Gilmores said...

I know how you feel. We took that trip, but turned right in Salina and headed south to Texas. Even with teenagers, you won't believe the potty breaks you have to take, especially when every one is sick of being stuck in the car. We've extended Sean's trip in MT until after Fathers Day so he can attend youth conference in Helena. He is having a great time. Im sure you have seen him around. He is going to be in the Ward talent show tomorrow. Glad you made it and having fun. Aloe Vera gel helps with the burn!

Johanna Buchert Smith said...

Ha, we've done that trip too! With a dog. And a no-airconditioner policy (cause we're cheap). Eastern Colorado is pretty darn ugly, but eastern Kansas=pretty. (Even though I'm mad at Kansas b/c I got my second speeding ticket in a month there. 70 is a DUMB speed limit for a wide open place.)

Anonymous said...

Sorry, just browsing & I had to make a comment....70mph IS a dumb speed limit for the wide open spaces! I know, I live there (here, whatever!) And it's not like there's a lot of traffic so they just get the worst offenders, there aren't that many people on the interstate sometimes! And in the last month or so they've gotten more strict too. Also, I think about the most boring sceneary(sp?) is the most eastern part of CO and the western part of KS. Quite blah.

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...