Thursday, August 17, 2006

Little Update

My mom called today "to see if Heidi is still alive" after yesterday's nail polish incident. Luckily the polish came out, thanks to google and these instructions. And also luckily, I was too tired to beat my children yesterday (because I promise they deserved some kinda whoopin' after all the naughty things they did --the nail polish was just the first of a long list of misdemeanors). So, yes, we have all recovered, and yes, the carpet looks fine.

I also had my second non-stress test at the hospital (a welcome break from the chaos at home). I asked the nurse if I could stay til I have the baby. She said they would love to keep me, but it might get a little pricey. That's for sure--maybe somebody at the Econolodge would fluff my pillows and bring me ice water and toast for the next few weeks--it would cost about 95% less than staying at the hospital. Just kidding. I miss my kids even after a 2-hour playdate; three weeks away wouldn't work!

Today we talked about names a little bit. The family is divided into two factions as far as Baby Bay Names go: Heidi and I are all for James and Addie and Daddy still want Ole. Daddy is not totally against James and he admits, "Well, I get the middle and last names..." but would still love an Ole. I love the name Ole, too, but I have noticed in the three years we have talked/written about the name, there hasn't been a single person who read it our spelled it right. And that's just not a curse you want to place on your only son, no matter how cute and Swedish the name is.

Tonight when we talked about it, I sang the "Sweet Baby James" (by James Taylor) song to the girls, convincing them that baby brother could have his own song.

There is a young cowboy who lives on the range
His horse and his cattle are his only companions
He works in the saddle and he sleeps in the canyons
Waiting for Summer, his pastures to change
And as the moon rises he sits by his fire
Thinking about women and [yummy root] beer
And closing his eyes as the dogies retire
He sings out a song which is soft but it's clear
As if maybe someone could hear
Goodnight you moonlight ladies
Rockabye Sweet Baby James
Deep greens and blues are the colors I choose
Won't you let me go down in my dreams
And rockabye sweet baby James


Heidi started to chant "BA-BY JAMES! BA-BY JAMES!" to which Addie responded with the chant "I HATE JAMES! WE WANT OLE! I HATE JAMES! WE WANT OLE!" Crazy kids. Maybe we will have to give the baby three names--he is, afterall, the ONLY boy (if he's a boy at all). In Rich's family, the first son always gets the Dad's name for a middle name, so he will be James Richard Melin--good, solid English name. Or we could throw in Ole for good measure--James Ole Richard Melin--and Dad could still call him Ole. Or JR. Or Jorm. Or anything but Jim (sorry dads--it's JAMES!). Of course, if baby tricks us and turns out to be a girl, it's still Josephine Elrey or Josephine Mae, and she will be called Josie. Then again, we may get a look at the kid and think of something totally different, but this is where we are right now.

PS: Totally unrelated and irrelevant note-- I hate Hildi Santo-Tomas on Trading Spaces. She is so lucky to have that gig because in REAL life, a good designer is one who listenes to and pleases her clients and makes their space more liveable and enjoyable. Good designers do not take pride in making home owners cry. Also, I followed that lame MTV show The Hills this summer (gimme a break, I'm on bedrest) , and may I just say that the finale was the stupidest thing I have ever seen on TV and just about the worst message to send to young women. Summary: the main character gets offered a summer internship in Paris with Teen Vogue (she is a fashion student & aspiring designer) and she passes it up to stay & spend the summer in a Malibu beach house with her Coke-head, self-centered boyfriend. Um...yeah, that's realistic. Maybe for a girl who doesn't need to put her career and education first because her dad is loaded and dumps money on her. But really, SO LAME.

7 comments:

cmhl said...

I love James!!!

and Hildi?? not so much..

Anonymous said...

Hildi is the spawn of the devil. If I saw her in real life I wouldn't hesitate to pop her square in the nose, and then go hang nascar comemorative plates in her house. You only have to see the one episode where she actually glues an entire bale of straw to the walls of a home full of children. My girls would run straight at the wall and start gnawing. Hildi we all pray you design yourself to an early grave.

dscokween said...

just gotta say...

I SOOO hate Hildi! I always have. She's like a working car-wreck. I suppose if you need an innovative installation at some window display, she might be neat, but to live with her whimsy? what a nightmare. Ever notice how only her house gets to be all white? She's got some sort of superiority thing going on. When I go to hell, there will only be black licorice, beets, Yellow Submarine on loop and the entire place designed by Hildi.

Hildi - good for me to poop on!

So I vote James for many reasons. one of them would be a drive to Taco John's where you can order an extra large potatoe ole. If our baby was a boy, I had picked out Mack as a name. Ironically, with this pregnancy, I've suffered multiple Mac Attacks.

lacy lee said...

I'm confused as to the pronounciation of Ole. Please shoot some clarification my way, so I can give an informed vote.

Jamie said...

Okay, I 've had plenty of comments/questions about OLE...because I hail from a Spanish-speaking area, my people always assume it's pronounced "oh-LAY!" But really, it's Swedish and it's pronounced "OH-lee," as in "Roly Poly Olie," which I think is really cute. I even know a couple of adult Ole's who are kinda cute, too. But James still rules, and if you need some convincing, just clikc on this: http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/store/artist/album/0,,173052,00.html

moiety said...

James, you'd better break that url into 2 pieces and repost or something, but really, it doesn't matter: how on earth could you even attempt to resist the dominating rightness and lovely off-beatness of Ole? Fine, Ole James, that works just fine too; heck, call him "James" all the time if you want (I know of a little girl named "Daffodil" who is called "Daphne" as often as her wacky, socially discouraged floral name) (although not BECAUSE of the evil social forces that would discourage the application of names such as "Daffodil") (you should by all means sing his eponymous Taylor song to him and his sweet sisters), but NAME him OLE. And to !@#$ with what the "others" say about it for the rest of his life: don't you realize how cool a stage name "Ole Melin" will be when he starts performing?

Of course, this is coming from someone who advocates names like "Soren" and "Elke", not to mention "Brunhilde" . . .

Brooks Brown said...

JAMES JAMES JAMES!

It's one of my favorite names and you are so right -- not Jim or Jimmy -- just James.

Ole is kind of confusing and I think you are right in that everyone will pronounce it "O-Lay" It would be cool as a middle name. I have a name that is constantly misspelled and misprounounced as Brook, even by my own relatives, and it gets old.

I am with you on Hildi. She is my least favorite designer, completely full of herself and her own agenda which amounts to trying to make the most obnoxious interior decorating statement she can.

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...