Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Update

High inside my house yesterday: 74F...
This morning: 61F...
THAT'S MORE LIKE IT! Of course it smells like the entire county is smoking bacon or something because Pine Creek, Mission Creek, and Big Creek are on fire. Even our barn is still smoldering and some embers caught the river bank on fire on Saturday. My poor dad-n-law is obsessed with watering the ranch to be sure we don't spread the embers and burn down our beautiful Paradise!

Rich and Addie made it home safe on Sunday night. Yesterday (Monday) was a terrible day for me--I didn't feel good, I looked haggard, the girls went crazy with all manner of mischief (including Heidi painting my toilet seat and her hands with clear nailpolish, cutting her hair, spitting milk all over the basement couches, filling the toilet with TP THEN taking off her diaper and peeng in the shower....I'll stop there). I was so frazzled, we just sang songs for FHE and hung out with Rich's brother Mike who came to visit. The only bright spot was that I made up a great new recipe (if you like Hawaiian food). Rich's mom gave me a bunch of left-over teriyaki chicken strips, so I cooked some rice, chopped up the chicken and made this in a saucepan:

4-5 chopped chicken tenders
1 can cream of chicken
2 TB soy sauce
about 1 tsp each of garlic powder, ground ginger, & dry mustard
1 can of pineapple chunks with about half the juice drained off

Bring to a boil and serve over sticky rice. It's an instant family hit around here--almost as yummy as Moko Loco!

Here's to a Tuesday that's better than Monday! And Happy August!

4 comments:

Jenn said...

Good morning Tuesday to you too! I had a rough day yesterday as well. My allergies (smoke induced) are out of control. I had to go get special steroid EYE drops! How crazy is that? Now my eyes will be as big as my behind! Oh, Dear Jesus I hope not! Hope today is better!

Jamie said...

poor jen! I hope your eyes are better today! are those raindrops I see??? hallelujah! hopefully there's no lightning...

amy bates took my girls for the morning, so as soon as I finish straightening up the office, i am going back to bed...this is perfect "bedrest" (hibernating) weather!

Happy Gilmores said...

We always have our AC set for 74 degrees. Any higher and we feel hot and sticky with the heat pounding the house, and any lower our electric bill will send us to the poor house. Already our bill is $400 a month just to keep the air moving. Hopefully we can get to 61 degrees by December.

Jamie said...

shucks! AC is so expensive! I take the coolness for granted...I highly recommend R-panels if you ever build your own house (you're smarter than that, aren't you???). The insulation had been a huge blessing to us. For the 2 weeks our temps were constantly below zero, our heat bill only went up about $20 for the month (always around $100 for our little place). Hopefully running the little window AC won't cost us too much this month, either.

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...