Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Senses Working Overtime

(if you're dying to hear the ol' XTC song, click here)
I have been thinking about this post for a long time, since I cleaned out my bathroom products and used up the last of my Bath & Body Works Apothecary Lavender-Vanilla bubble bath, which sent me right down memory lane. I, like most people, have strong scent memories. I heard on TV that this is an anatomical fact because the olfactory centers of the brain have no filters--what we smell is not processed, so it goes into our brains and creates a vivid memory right away. That's really cool, and very animal-like, no?

Some of the most surprisingly vivid and tender memories I have are from when I brought each of my three babies home from the hospital. Each time I was pregnant, as delivery grew nigh, I bought (or was given) a new set of scented soaps and lotions to help me feel pretty before and after delivering the baby.

So here is a list of some of my strongest scent memories:
  • B&B Cucumber Melon Body Wash: Newborn Addie, courtesy of myself.
  • B&B Apothecary Lavender-Vanilla: Newborn Heidi, courtesy of one of my dear YW, Lauren.
  • Victoria's Secret Love Spell Body Spray & Scrub: Newborn James, courtesy of my mom.
  • bleach/ chlorine water: mmmm, reminds me of pool water, and on a winter's day when I am sanitizing the linens of my cold-ridden family, the smell of the bleach water in the washer can send me right to a sunny, 105-degree day, playing in the pool in Arizona.
  • orange peels, orange blossoms: takes me right to Arizona, too...warm sweet-smelling breezes...yum!
  • Creosote, Mesquite=MONSOON RAIN in southern AZ. I'm tellin' you people, if they could bottle that smell...(if you've been in Tucson in August, you know what I am talking about!)
  • fresh berries and dill also smell so good and fresh to me, and combined with lemon, can brighten and freshen any dish (berries for sweet, dill for savory, of course)
  • Ralph Lauren's Safari for Men: when this scent came out, I loved it and I put the scent cards everywhere, even though I never knew a guy who wore it. I suppose it was the smell of the fantasy man of my early 20's.
  • Ciara: The Scent of Grandma Lyn...I can smell it on my kids hours after she has hugged them!
  • Dove Soap: Grandma Muriel...soft pink soap in her tiny pink-tiled bathroom.

Also, I had some thoughts about sounds the other night. It was a warm night and we had a fan on. The kids were in bed and the dishwasher was humming. I thought to myself that, aside from the sound of silence, the sound of the dishwasher might be my favorite. It's the sound of my woman's work being done at the end of the day. Ahhhh! I also like to drift off to sleep to the sound of the vacuum, the TV, and/or a fan going...I am a huge fan of white noise. Of course I love to hear my kids giggling, especially when they are making each other laugh.

And sometimes I worry that James will have some primal respose to the Scrubs theme...I am afraid he will suddenly get really hungry or want to suck on something, since I watched a tivo'ed Scrubs episode almost everytime I had to nurse him when he was a tiny baby. His first words will probably be, "I can't do this all on my own, no, I know I''m no Superman."

We'll talk about sight, taste, and touch another day. What are some of YOUR favorite scents & sounds?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm very much into different scents.....

The Aussie hairspray (that smells like grape) takes me back to High School. Oh the many bottles of that I went through making sure each hair was in it's place!

The perfume Poison will always remind me of a friend from high school that has since passed away.

I love Huggies brand Shea butter lotion, I lather Lilly up in it after her bath. When both of the girls were newborns my choice would be J&J baby lotion after their baths. MMMMM!! Speaking of baby's I loved the smell of their breath when they were itty bitty:) I also love the smell of Dreft laundry detergent, just can't justify buying it for the smell!
I'd rather spend it on candles! LOL

I have several scents of candles that I enjoy depending on the season. For winter it's Salt City
Welcome home, Spiced Wassil and Cinn/Vanilla. We have an artifical tree so I always have to have a Pine candle burning. Spring would be Gold Canyon Orange Vanilla and Ginger lime. In the bedroom I love to burn Clean Sheets which smells like fabric softner. My fav summer scent is Coconut Lime Verbenia. Fall scents are GC Pumpkin Pie, mulled cider and carmel apple.

I have a few favorite lotions from Bath and BOdy works as well. Pear blossom, Coconut lime verbena, country apple and sheer freesia. I also love Victoria Secret's Rivera Sun which they no longer make:(

Call me crazy but I love the smell of Target when you first walk into the store. I can't quite explain that one. But it reminds me of when I was on maternity leave after I had Emma and we'd make weekly trip there:)


I love to clean w/bleach, to me the smell just says C L E A N

We have fans in all 3 bedrooms that run at naptimes and bedtime. I've gotten to the point that if I'm sleeping somewhere else other than my house a fan is a must have in the bedroom for me to sleep!

I love to listen to the rain as it's falling and hitting the roof of our house.


Something I hope to someday experience is taking a walk all bundled up in the winter and being able to "listen" to the snowfall:)I imagine it as being very peaceful

I guess that's all for now:) That was fun!

Carla said...

My favorite sound to relax to is also the dishwasher, but because it reminds me of my mom and Sunday naps. Then rain--both in sound and smell. The smell of Avon pink bubble bath reminds me of my Grandma K. And the smell of vanilla and cedar (lined closets) combined reminds me of warm hugs from my mom while growing up-her white cashmere sweater smelled that way. The smell of Lever 2000 soap throws me into a tail-spin and I want to vomit! It's associated with morning sickness, that and pork. Eww!

Elizabeth said...

I could never remember all of them to list, but some of my favorite smells are: bleach/chlorine (like you), Pine Sol, rain, pine trees, bread baking, fresh cut lawn, BBQ, baby lotion, the crisp smell in fall (actually the smell of each season---have you ever noticed that each season kind of has a certain smell?), etc. I could never name them all.
I am a huge fan of fans at night when going to sleep.

Thanks for saying hi on my blog. I think Becca and Geo are superb. I'd always be happy to be linked in their company. :) Nice to meet you.

Geo said...

Hey, it's me. Did you know I'm superb? I didn't! Cool, huh? And that's also cool about no filters on the olfactories. It's my personal life mission to make the world think of me when they smell patchouli.

Lyndi said...

I think the desert in the rain is my favorite...but new baby is so special to me, how their little heads smell when you snuggle them and their sweet(not stinky) breath.
I love the smell of Murphys Oil soap and Bleach for the clean smell and my favorite candle is something warm and spicey. Any axe mens smells make me sick....I don't think there are any good ones...they all smell like teen-age boy... . yuk.... Grey Flannel for mens and Estee Lauder for womens parfumes. Roast Beef with potatos and carrots always reminds me of Sunday dinner and the great nap to follow.

Anonymous said...

Maj--how funny about Grandma Lyn smell--I once walked into a room at Church and said to Anna, "Hey, it smells like Grandma Lyn," and wouldn't you know it, she was near the front row of the RS room for Sunday School, visiting Kevin and Katie. Sure enough, hours later, after I had hugged her, I could still smell her. --Michael; your brother from another mother.

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...