Saturday, July 21, 2007

"And if there be no righteousness, there be no happiness"

Something's been on my mind lately---it's a recurring question. Let me give you a little background.

About 11 years ago when I was serving as Relief Society President, the bishop called me into his office for a chat and a certain conversation I'd had with a woman in Relief Society came up. I told him she had come to me first about something which should have been discussed with him, because I don't have the ability or the authority to deal with it. Ability?--you may ask? Yes, the ability to be truly compassionate, I guess, because my first response to this young woman who was, in essence, confessing sins and telling me all about the aftermath was this: "So what do you THINK was going to happen?" The bishop suggested I edit that part of my thoughts from then on. Good advice.

But that doesn't mean I don't still think it all the time. And it's not like I don't feel sorry for people who are suffering, even if it's because of their own choices. Suffering stinks. But at the same time, you can't stop suffering until you make different choices, and at some point some people need to be reminded of that.

I find myself wanting to grab people by the shoulders and say, "What did you think your life would be like when you married someone with no education, few skills, and little motivation? I mean, I'm all for love and everything, but if you're gonna do that, you better get comfy in your double wide--you can't complain about never having money or never being able to get ahead. It's what you signed up for." Or perhaps, "What results were you expecting from your kids when your poor choices have robbed them of a stable home life, unconditional love, and the presence of a father? Did you think you'd get some sort of a free pass and somehow, against all odds, your kids would just accept it?" And I don't say that with any judgment. Seriously. The only thing I have a problem with is people making choices and THEN complaining about the consequences. I don't care where or how you live as long as you accept the consequences.

I suppose my two greatest peeves are hypocrisy and her close cousin, lack of accountability.

On a related tangent, it becomes more clear to me each day that there really truly is only one way have joy. Remember that straight gate and narrow path? They are real! We can take what ever path we choose and we may even convince ourselves that we are happy "off-roading". But I can guarantee that (a) people around us have suffered for our choices and (b) our happiness is fleeting. Of course one can always make a "course correction" through the atonement--that' s real, too--and it gets you right back to where you should have been all along. But I'm just sayin'--it's SO MUCH EASIER to just DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. Make the right choices--from the small daily things like being honest, forgiving someone, praying, choosing kindness, to the bigger choices like getting an education, being married in the temple, providing for one's family, or living within one's means.

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT in any way inferring that I make the right choices all teh time (or even half the time). I am struggling every HOUR like most people. But I am also aware that there is a consequence--good or bad--affixed to each choice i make. I understand that most of the difficult things I encounter in my life are the direct result of my own poor choices (or occasionally, someone else's). I also understand that the most joyful, fulfilling wonderful parts of my life come to me by the grace of God and through His Son. Happiness comes to me and my family when we work with Him.

It's a simple equation, really. And I guess I am just re-stating THIS (click and read). So I testify that the things that Lehi chose to teach his children at the very end of his life are still true. We do indeed reap what we sow, and we can't be surprised when weeds continue to spring up from seeds we carelessly scattered years or even decades ago. We were created to ACT and not to be ACTED UPON; we are instructed sufficiently to know good from evil; and we can, if we just THINK before we ACT, foresee the consquences of our actions. May they be joyful!!...

**end of rant, er, sermon?**

8 comments:

Jenn said...

Hmmm, I smell a big stinky!! Hope everyone and everything is A-OK at your neck of the woods.

Carla said...

AMEN SISTA! I may just have to copy and paste (giving you credit of course) this little sermon, because, can I just say, certain people in my life need to hear this...AGAIN! Hello! Read your scriptures!

I was just telling my SIL yesterday, about a stupid decision my mother made years ago to ignore the spirit, that there will be a day of reckoning. It doesn't have to be immediate, but those weeds will come up. The thing that has me smacking my head against the wall is that these certain people in my life truly believe that the end justifies the means. Affair? That's okay as long as we're all "happy" in the end. Ignore promptings from the spirit? Fine, as long as we learn to adjust. But, like you said, happiness is fleeting...at best. Looks like I'm the one with the sermon. Anyway, thanks. ~Woody

Anonymous said...

We are sooo much alike! Love Ya!

Anonymous said...

OK I gotta chime in on this too. I think of the people in our family I am the one with the least ammount of compassion. Stupid people making stupid mistakes dont bother me at all because my job here on earth is the first of all
drag my butt back to heavenly father and help my wife and children also return home to heavenly father. Ultimately I am the only one that can control my actions and reactions. I have no control over others that is the beauity of the plan. Cuz when we end up in a place we dont wanna be who's fault is it going to be? Ours and no one elses. End of story.
My fav on this subject is on Dr. Phil when the White trash toothless crack head meth addict is whining and complaning about their life and choices and Dr. Phil asks a very telling question very simple question. "How is that working out for you?" Yeah blog-o-sphere how are your choices working out for you? If you dont like it change it cuz you are the only one that can.
Forrest gump so eloquently put it "Stupid is as stupid does"

Anonymous said...

Some of our most favoritist people in the world are the Melin's.

Kelli said...

You watch Dr. Phil, Rich?!! By the way, that's my favorite quote of his!

chrissy said...

very well put. thanks for letting me sneak a peak at your blog every now and then! i love reading it!

Aim said...

ahh and yet again Jamie nails it on the head. I have no idea what inspired that blog but I just wanted to let you know that even though you posted it a while ago, I just read it today and it was EXACTLY what I needed to hear. If you were inspired for anyone... it was for me. Thanks Jaim.

love amie

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...