Monday, July 02, 2007

Cowboys vs. Rednecks

I have made solemn vows to myself as a city girl to avoid becoming (or even becoming confused with) a country girl. Vows like not wearing big bangs or a crunchy perm or cowboy boots. Or not listening to modern country music. Or never, not EVER attending a rodeo.

But I am starting to rethink that last vow. I have finally drawn a distinction between real cowboys and the rednecks who pose as cowboys. For instance, at a rodeo, the cowboys would be showing off thier skills and competing with other cowboys, while the rednecks sat in the stands and drank beers and acted like fools.

I have a growing respect for cowboys and --especially--cowgirls. Last week we went to watch a round up and branding. My friend Summer and her husband help run a HUGE ranch in Springdale, and they are also allowed to keep 10 of their own cattle on the ranch. Of course those cows have bred several more calves and they needed to keep some over at our ranch. So we went to watch the whole process, and Summer's husband brought along the cub scouts he leads to teach them how it's done. It was so cute to see those little boys give the calves shots and then brand them!

But the coolest thing of all was to see Summer up on her horse roping the calves and dragggin' them over to get branded. She looked like a super hero and I was soooo impressed. Suddenly I realize what rodeos are all about (see, I told you I was a city girl). It's a place where hard workin' ranch people develop and show off the skills that make them successful. And that is an awesome and enviable skill set.

I am thankful for people who work hard to literally give us our daily bread. And burgers. Cattle ranching and wheat farming are two things we do a lot of here in Montana--well, I mean OTHER people do a lot of here in Montana-- and I have such respect and gratitude that there are still people in the world willing to work something other than 9-5, to keep family farms, to know the land, care for animals and do way more than their fair share to keep the humans alive.

Summer, you're my hero (and not just because you're doing an awesome job as Primary President). Maybe I'll see you at a rodeo someday!

2 comments:

Happy Gilmores said...

This city boy from Los Angeles, loves to go to the Rodeo and I love modern country music. Oh well! Sean was up in Livingston to see the parade on Monday and then the Rodeo on Tuesday night. He comes home today. Page and I did go out and watch the Powell Fireworks last night.

AuntieM said...

That's why I married Uncle Ralph. The horses! My love for all things Cowboy. How they smell of leather and horse. How they look in Wranglers. How they can make those big steers lay down when they twist their heads off. Oh, the fun of watching beautiful animals work. Amazing! Love you! Love, Auntie M

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...