Sunday, September 16, 2007

On The Mend

I really need a nap. I'll make this update short.
Two weeks ago I talked to my Stake President about how I have been really anxious and tired and sick and moody-swing-ish. He gave me a blessing and counseled me to seek some medical attention. So 10 days ago I saw one of my OBGYN's who is also family practice and she ordered a bunch of tests and gave me 2 months worth of anxiety medication (Lexapro). I started the Lexapro the day we left for Yellowstone, knowing it would make me super drowsy (and boy, did it!). It also made me shaky and nauseated (PS: "nauseated" means you feel sick; "nauseous" means you make people feel sick--just a little grammatical peeve of mine).
On Monday morning I went in and had a whole bunch of blood drawn. On Thursday they called and told me I had to come again because the orders got messed up. On Saturday morning my doctor called because the tests showed I have hyperthyroidism, which means my thyroid makes too many hormones and sends my system into overdrive (which usually means your appetite increases, but you still lose weight--my body only caught the first half of that!). So I had to go get more blood drawn so the could figure out if I have Grave's disease (click) or just a nodule (goiter) that's gone wild producing the extra hormone.

At any rate, we have nailed down a problem, and I am so glad it's mostly medical and not psychiatric because I really thought I was headed for crazy town. I'll update you as I hear more, and I will blog more regularly when my body gets used to this Lexapro and I stop falling asleep at the drop of a hat (and sweating BUCKETS).

Happy Sabbath, y'all!

8 comments:

Carla said...

My SIL and I were just commenting the other day how we feel like we've been hit by the "crazy train"--but that has more to do with issues within the family.

A few years ago, after having Emma, my thyroid was tested and came back too low (HypOthyroidism). Right after having Morgan, it was normal, but tends to swing low every now and then. Exercise has helped me at times. Hope you start feeling yourself again soon! Take care!

Jill Petersen said...

Oh Maj, I am sorry for that but grateful you have some things figured out and you have Drs you like. I hope they can give you whatever medicine or regimin you need to get better. If you have Graves then maybe you'll start to lose wieght! That would be nice right?! Drew was joking on our backpacking trip that it wouldn't hurt too bad to get Jardea!(sp)

shoeaddict said...

I have hypo, too, like Carla. I'm so sorry you're feeling poorly but, I am glad you and your doc have a finger on the problem.

I'm in awe of the nauseated/nauseous thing. I've never heard of this and I'm a grammar freak!

Jamie said...

Kristen, the "nauseous" rule is kinda disappearing because of common use, MW changed it, but it still hurts my ears. Thanks for your support, guys...

kelemieux said...

My friend has been struggling with your same problem for years now. Once she got the meds all straightened out, there's no stopping her!! You'll feel better soon, after all you live in paradise!! Your trip to Yellowstone looked so fun, we're coming up in the spring :)

Lisa Oslin said...

J-me What would one day be for our family if we never had any medical issues??? I hope everything goes well and you can feel better soon. If you ask me I think the Dr. might have missed the report that said you ARE a little crazy.....Just Kidding!!! I love you so much and miss you guys alot. I have not sent James's card yet, I will send it in your B-day box. All our love Lisa ree

Anonymous said...

that's funny, I've been self-diagnosing by looking up my symptoms online and I think I have hypothyroidism. Apparently you can have post-pregnancy thyroidisim which hits about 3-4 months after a baby and then goes away after a little bit. That's what I'm hoping for. I've felt so tired, shaky, lightheaded, etc. I hope it leaves of its own accord. Good luck.

Shea said...

Hi I found your blog from Luisa's and I'm hypo. I found out after I had our second daughter. I went hyper one time because of an overdose of meds and I thought I was headed to crazy town. Anxiety/depression/the shakes/insomnia. It was horrible. I seem to be going pretty steady on my dose of armour.

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...