Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Yay! Health Update...

Today (Tuesday) Dr, Reid left me a message telling me she wanted to see me in her office at 1:30pm so we could talk for a few minutes. This kind of scared me because I thought she would give me my diagnosis over the phone since we had talked about most of the possibilities and treatments earlier. But when I spoke with her, she confirmed that I had Graves Disease and told me the course of action. First, we try Tapazole (sp?) to regulate hormone production and "calm down" the thyroid. We start with the lowest dose, testing my blood for progress (in lowering my T4 count, which I think she said should be around 24 and mine was 89, and raising my TSH, which was zero). When we find the dose that works, we stick with it for a few months and see if it causes remission. If so--good. If not, then we have the radioactive iodine ablasion (sp?), which kills the thyroid and then I take synthroid pills the rest of my life.

So I guess either way, I will be on some kind of medication for most of the rest of my life. But if it works, I am totally fine with that (sorry, Dad...I didn't feel very good about the natural remedy this time...). I am so excited to be myself again!

7 comments:

shoeaddict said...

I'm glad you got answers. i'm on synthroid, too. My endocrinologist just upped my dosage.

chrissy said...

I'm glad your Dr was able to figure things out! Now get to feeling better!

Anonymous said...

Good luck, sweetie! Glad things are looking up for you!

Becky said...

I hope this treatment gets you feeling fabulous soon.

Geo said...

Oh, honey, I'm so glad you have smart people on the job. God bless them and you. And happy belated birthday. Love you!

Aim said...

Glad to hear that things will hopefully get better. When Matt told me what was going on we both got really worried about you. You've been in our prayers.

I love the post about your b-day with Heidi! hahahaha! I laughed so hard at the "feeding her elephants" part! hahaha. Oh man what a cutie! You look GREAT in all your b-day pictures btw!

Come share your work horror stories on my page! www.halabalou.blogspot.com
I know you have some!

love amie

Brooks Brown said...

Glad you got a diagnosis. Thyroid conditions are not uncommon it seems as I have a few friends that have hypothyroidism. It's amazing the power that those small glands in our necks possess. I hope this diagnosis means you will start feeling better soon.

That post about Addie's prayer is one of the funniest I've read in months -- totally reminds me of me and my sister as kids.

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...