Tuesday, October 30, 2007

So Long, Farewell...

Last night while we were cleaning up from dinner and Family Night (we made Halloween sugar cookies and sang Primary Program songs), Peter took this picture of our family.Today we are taking Peter to the airport so he can fly home to Slovakia via NYC. We sent a care pacakage of the cookies we made last night for him to share with Zuzana. We will miss them a lot! The only bright side is that we need to separate the girls to do some sleep training with Heidi , so now we have a room for Addie to sleep in until Heidi learns to go to bed and stop disturbing the whole family! The nice thing is that Zuzana and Peter will probably come back next year! They won't live with us but we can stop in and see them at work or have them over for dinner! :) Next summer we will teach them to cook Mexican food!
***
On a totally different subject, I was reading cjane's post about her halloween peeves, and I realized that I share them all. I also was reminded that I haven't shared one of the weirdest things about myself. I have serious issues with doing free advertising for companies by wearing their brand names on my person. I worked one holiday season at the Gap and I was really annoyed that I had to wear a branded shirt, but later figured it was okay since they were paying me. I LOATHE clothing with cartoons, which I feel is another form of free advertising. Rich thinks I am a mean mom because I won't buy the girls Disney Princess (or other character) clothes. Well, I have been a little more flexible with the kids. We found a really cute, INEXPENSIVE pair of sneakers for Addie with a subtle Hello Kitty on them. And each year we pillage the after Christmas sales and find $3 Old Navy fleeces. I'll wear those because they are practically free. And if the kids receive (subtly) branded items as gifts, I let it slide. But come on-- we are human beings with dignity! Companies should not be allowed to advertise their wares on the temples Heavenly Father gave us. To me, it's like a tattoo. And if somebody is going to use me that way, at least they should be paying ME, not the other way around! ;)

5 comments:

C. Jane Kendrick said...

We share a soul.

I always say "practically free" about clothes cheaper than $5. I would also totally live in my OLD NAVY fleece for that very reason.

Lyndi said...

James,
Do you remember the chat we had about name brand clothing when you were in 6th grade? You come by your peeves honestly....I hate cartoonware, I only like the Old Navy 4th of July shirts, cuz they have the flag and the year on them...they're sort of a tradition...I really hat the Disney Princess crap......I think dress up is ok, with out the advertisements, you can get cool stuff at goodwill or DI, with out paying for the Disney name. Anyway, I try not to by that junk for the grandkids. Plain shirts are fine with me. Hey I love ya. Mom

Jenn said...

I swear we are truly SOUL sistas!!!
I HATE cartoon stuff too. I NEVER buy that crap either. And it has to be pretty minimal for me to let it slide...
Great family shot...YOU look really good!

Geo said...

Go, Jamie! I'm here to back. you. up.

torch said...

I never buy character stuff, or things with names on them. People are just wearing them to show the name-- is that a style? I think it is just that people want to say they buy that brand, so, "look at me". (I sound awful:)) Anyway, my kids have a few things with names that were gifts or hand-me-downs and when they ask what it says and what it means I just tell them it was the company that made it. Nothing more. I have actually given away cute hand-me-downs that had character stuff on it just because I really can't stand character stuff. My sister always tells her MIL that she hates it and yet she still buys Thomas, and Buzz Lightyear, etc. stuff for her kids.

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...