Saturday, December 15, 2007

My Favorite Cowgirls


I've been on hiatus, snuggling up with my kids watching Christmas shows, eating the treats that friends bring by, baking gingerbread, caroling, having Christmas dance parties to Brian Setzer Orchestra's Christmas album, and wrapping/ sealing/mailing, etc.


I've spent a bit of the last few days soaking up the beauty that is Brandi Carlile's heartbroken cowgirl/rockabilly sandpaper/silk voice from her newest album, The Story (to me, she's Patsy cline, Emmylou, Juice Newton, Nancy Wilson, all frappe'ed together). I know, it came out forever ago, but I just found some time to keep up. Listen to/ watch this, the most beautiful song I've heard in a long time...


All of these lines across my face
Tell you the story of who I am
So many stories of where I've been
And how I got to where I am
But these stories don't mean anything
When you've got no one to tell them to
It's true...I was made for you
I climbed across the mountain tops
Swam all across the ocean blue
I crossed all the lines and I broke all the rules
But baby I broke them all for you
Because even when I was flat broke
You made me feel like a million bucks
You do
I was made for you
You see the smile that's on my mouth
It's hiding the words that don't come out
And all of my friends who think that I'm blessed
They don't know my head is a mess
No, they don't know who I really am
And they don't know what
I've been through like you do
And I was made for you...
All of these lines across my face
Tell you the story of who I am
So many stories of where I've been
And how I got to where I am
But these stories don't mean anything
When you've got no one to tell them to
It's true...I was made for you


***

Could you just die? I love it, and I know that I am a Johnny-come-lately with this, since her album was released last spring. I heard snippets of this song, but I actually didn't feel like I had the emotional fortitude to listen to it! I've been feeling more in touch with that part of me and I even dug out Maria McKee's You Gotta Sin to Get Saved last week to listen to while I drove to Springdale and back. MMMM, I LOVE that album! This Brandi Carlile song reminded me of the following Maria song:

"My girlhood among the outlaws was salty, bittersweet
The things I did, ah I could just kick myself now
Through nights of lousy dreams
As visions gather in my head
I find it hard to live with the things I did and said
But for you my friend, I’d live it all again
And love you in the end

"Anything for you baby anything for you
If it took those years to get me here
I’d do it again for you

"Took a leap of faith and I stumbled
Tried to live outside grace and I was humbled
But I’d like to bet if I’d lived to fear regret
Then we never would’ve met

"Anything for you baby anything for you
If it took those years to get me here
I’d do it again for you

"So here we are and I don’t know what we call it
‘Cause love is such a funny promise
They say commitment is impossible
and forever is a lie
But that still leaves you and I..."

Ahh. So pretty. There is no video available for that song, but the song that made me worship MAria can be seen and heard HERE. I miss playing car karaoke now that I have three kids watching DVDs in my backseat. They don't think car karaoke is very fun.


Anyway, there's a Christmas present for you...two beautiful songs about love, love, love!!! Go hug your loved one(s)! Now I need to go watch my tivoed "Secrets of the Freemasons" special on the Discovery Channel. Happy Sabbath to all and to all a good night!


***


PS: Speaking of Emmylou, here is footage of her duet-ing with Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits, and he did the Princess Bride soundtrack)--they are singing "Why Worry," the song that was 'OUR SONG' when I Aaron M. was my luv in 1986-ish. It was SHOCKING to hear that song again after so many years, and so COOL that Emmylou is singing it! We both know a good song when we hear it!


"Just when the world seems mean and cold

Our love comes shining red and gold

And all the rest is by-the way...

So why worry?

There should be laughter after pain

There should be sunshine after rain

These things have always been the same

So why worry now?"

4 comments:

Jill Petersen said...

I LOVE that Brandi Carly song so much! I remember the first time I heard it and I cried. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Jill Petersen said...

Sorry- Carlile!!

Jenn said...

One of my new fav's too! We think way tooo much alike sometimes!

Luisa said...

LOVE it! I totally know what you mean about missing car karaoke. I also miss my NPR b/c the kids always get to choose their stuff. Sometimes I just pull the "Because I said so" and listen to my mommy stuff. I miss me! BTW, your Christmas picture turned out great. I love that Rich and James have the same face in it. Too cute.

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...