Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Seriously, So Lame

Here's something funny (it's SATIRE).

In other news, I have a super sore throat because I CHOKED on my medicine tonight like some kind of invalid!

No, really, I just chugged my two night pills with a soda that was sitting on the counter as I ran between putting Addie to bed and taking James downstairs. So I picked up James, and when I laid him down (gross alert) I had massive kickback that went up my nose, wherein a pill became lodged at the convergence of my ear-nose-throat in some little fold of tissue. It was horrific!. I gulped and breathed deeply as tears began pouring from my eyes, and I kissed James good night. I bolted to my bathroom and started gargling and sniffing water, but the burning--oh, the burning--continued.

I did everything I could think of (including trying to dislodge the bugger with a Q-Tip, which made me gag and throw up, which then made me realize that it's really not that hard to be bulimic, although I have never been able to make myself throw up before). Finally, I just got some gum (hoping extra saliva would help the cause) and a hug cup of ice water and the horrible bitterness eventually dissolved and went away (coincidentally, right about he time Hilary stopped flappin' her jaw on the DNC coverage I was watching--had to see my homeboy, Brain Schweitzer warm up the crowd--I'm still conservative, but I love that guy [Montana Rox]!). A nice pink grapefruit bubble bath and a new issue of Real Simple calmed my frazzled nerves, and now I am just finishing up some of Addie' back-to-school stuff before bed.

Yes, my darling is heading off for her first day of the first grade tomorrow. She will be in Mrs. Phillips' class, and Mrs. Phillips is Grandma's neighbor. We have heard mixed reviews about her, so we are hoping for the best. Addie's skills have backslid quite a bit this summer, and I take responsibility for that. All those nights I spent with her last school year learning to read kinda went out the window since our summer schedule didn't really give us a quiet half hour each night before bed. I hope she'll catch up quickly and enjoy learning. I am so excited for her to start writing and doing more science. She has such fun ideas and good questions and all of that starts to come out in writing (I won a poetry contest in the first grade, believe it or not; don't ask me how I even KNEW about poetry at that age, but I did!). I keep fantasizing about my girls being adults and being awesome people and two of my best friends...isn't that weird? I think it's because of all the fun I have had with my mom this summer (despite that sucky cancer).

Anyway, I am so excited for Addie, and next week Heidi starts up (preschool, 11-3pm). Her teachers are coming over tomorrow to meet her, and I love that. She will be way more comfortable on the first day after having them in our home. James and I are going to be LOVIN' IT--livin' la vida siesta! Heh, heh!

Well, I better go. I am getting a head/neck ache from all that choking I did earlier, so I better take the Tylenol and hit the hay.

HAPPY BACK-TO-SCHOOL EVE!

1 comment:

Jill Petersen said...

I have totally seen taht commercial and it cracks me up! It should be every parents most wonderful time of the year! My kids have been in school since the 18th (I think?) and I'm happier not entertaining them, they are much happier because they are doing something besides asking me what they can do, and they are back with their friends. It's a school miracle!!!

Sorry about the pills getting lodged in the wrong place. Thats one of the things I hate about taking medicine. I am not a rookie anymore though! ha ha!

FAMILY LETTER 07.28.19

Dear Loved Ones,                                                                                                        We have just ...